Search Community

GSAP V3 Alternative to MorphSVGPlugin.pathDataToBezier

Marcelo Vaz test
Moderator Tag

Hi. 

Amazing lib, just became a club member and i'm having a lot of fun trying it out.

I am trying to recreate this pen on a create-react-app product. I would like to know if there is an analogous function in the motionPathPlugin that would return the array of objects i need (that was provided by MorphSVGPlugin.pathDataToBezier) in the pen attached.

See the Pen pbzEYr by chrisgannon (@chrisgannon) on CodePen

• Like 1

Hey Marcelo and welcome to the GreenSock forums! We're so glad that you're having fun and that you are finding the tools helpful.

The MotionPathPlugin has a .stringToRawPath() method that can give you the RawPath information for a given path's data. 

I hope you're making use of the GSAP 3 migration guide for updating that project :) 

• Like 1

Hey Zach, sorry to bother you again. I've been having some trouble with this for the past few days. Is there any way to convert the raw path provided by  .stringToRawPath() to an array of objects like this one on the image? I Couldn't find it in the MotionPathPlugin documentation. 

image.png

Edit: I think it would help if i provided more information, i'm trying to provide this path info to a bezier object inside a tl.to method, like in the image below:

image.png.3caa7c2ae6906fd7f78151acbed40e12.png

Thanks.

Edited by Marcelo Vaz
providing more information

I actually think this is way simpler than you anticipated. A few key points: 

1. There is no BezierPlugin in GSAP 3; it was replaced by the much more capable and easy-to-use MotionPathPlugin. 
  2. MotionPathPlugin lets you define the path as an SVG, so there's no conversion necessary. You don't need the old MotionPathPlugin.pathToBezierData() at all. It's obsolete. 

I took the liberty of porting that demo over to GSAP 3 for you so that you can see how it works: 

See the Pen 56c8c53321d68056bd8b74d71c6b4335?editors=0010 by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

Notice:

// OLD:
graphBezier = MorphSVGPlugin.pathDataToBezier(graphLine.getAttribute('d'));
bezier: {
  type: "cubic",
  values: graphBezier,
  autoRotate: false
}

// NEW:
motionPath: graphLine

That's it!

But is there some other reason that you need to get all those cubic bezier points out of the SVG <path>? I can definitely help you with that, but I suspect it's irrelevant now...right? 

• Like 4

If you really need the path data converted into that old format, here's a helper function for you: 

function pathToBezierData(path) {
  let segment = MotionPathPlugin.getRawPath(path)[0],
      result = [],
      i;
  for (i = 0; i < segment.length; i+=2) {
    result.push({x: segment[i], y: segment[i+1]});
  }
  return result;
}

// usage:
let bezier = pathToBezierData('#graphLine');

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed that @Marcelo VazGSAP v2 version runs smoother on my laptop

than Gsap v3 version provided by @GreenSock

See the Pen 56c8c53321d68056bd8b74d71c6b4335?editors=0010 by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

while dragging the big dot. Especially on full screen.

Do you know why there are performance lossess in v3?

I use Firefox, my laptop has core i5 3230M 2.6 Ghz so it's not hardware issue.

5 hours ago, qweq3 said:

I use Firefox, my laptop has core i5 3230M 2.6 Ghz so it's not hardware issue.

Hardware is always an issue when it comes to svg. 😉

I don't have to time to look, but something is definitely wrong with the v3 version. The line and floating bubble go crazy on my computer.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

@GreenSock sure, here it goes. 

See the Pen GRowpjN by drunksheep (@drunksheep) on CodePen

there are some other variables (my current enviroment has some css differences and is inside a react App, but this is the gist of it.)

i understand if you guys can't help because this seems to pertain more to JS/React skills to GSAP in itself. 

Edited by Marcelo Vaz
Wrong codepen Link

I didn't see anywhere that you're trying to put several instances in a carousel. Did I miss something?

Yeah, unfortunately, we don't have the resources to do general consulting and build stuff out (especially if it's React-based), but we're happy to answer any GSAP-specific questions for sure. 

Good luck with the project!

Perhaps someone else is willing to jump in and help you with your integration and build out, but that's not really something we can dig into for you. Sorry. Feel free to ask anything GSAP-specific, though. If you need some consulting/freelance help, there's a forum here for that specifically so you should definitely be able to get some help if you need it. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 7/17/2020 at 6:36 PM, Marcelo Vaz said:

Hey guys, sorry to bring up an old topic again, but i would like some orientation in how i would go about implementing several instances of this inside a carousel, any tips? Thanks for the help so far.

Please remember to include the full license if you use this (my work) in your project 👍

• Like 1