Search Community

rotateZ

Sturmel test
Moderator Tag

Hey Sturmel and welcome to the GreenSock forums. Thanks for being a Club GreenSock member!

rotateZ() is equivalent to rotate() in this case. You're saying that you just want the inline style to use rotateZ() instead of rotate()? Or is there some other issue that I'm missing?

By the way, you could shorten your GSAP code by using defaults and leaving out the unit:

gsap.defaults({duration: 1, ease: "power4"});

$('#start').click(function () {
  gsap.to(".flip_card_inner", {
    rotationY: -45
  });

gsap.to(".flip_card_shadow", {
    rotationX: 90,
    rotationZ: -45
  });
});    

$('#reset').click(function () {
  gsap.to(".flip_card_inner", {
    rotationY: 0
  });

gsap.to(".flip_card_shadow", {
    rotationX: 0,
    rotationZ: 0
  });
});    

That's an order-of-operation thing. GSAP very intentionally delivers a consistent order of operation. Trust me - this is a GOOD thing :) If you need an explanation, let me know.

To resolve your issue, you can just animate the "transform" to a string value like: 

transform: "rotateX(90deg) rotate(45deg)"

Does that give you the effect you wanted? 

For the record, it's almost ALWAYS better to use the individual components with GSAP, like rotation, scaleX, scaleY, x, y, etc. with numeric values because it ensures there's no ambiguity and it's faster. With string-based "transform" values, it must apply that to the element and then read back the computed style and parse the matrix() or matrix3d() which is an extra few steps. It's not a big deal, but I'm obsessive about performance and accuracy. So the only time I'd recommend using a string "transform" like this is for your scenario where you're depending on a non-standard order of operation. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1