Search Community

Handles clipped by constraining box (Flex TransformManager)

thoughtless test
Moderator Tag

I lied, I have a third question. I should have mentioned in my previous post, I am using Flex and FlexTransformManager. I notice that if you defined a constraining box, it works as expected with everything except the rendering of the handles.

For example, if you drag an item to the corner of the box, the handles get clipped by the constraining box and partially disappear. It seems to me the desired functionality would be to have the handles not get clipped, and appear (even if they are outside the constraining box). Any advice on implementing this? Thanks.

That's a limitation in Flex that frankly I don't think there's a way around (if anyone else knows otherwise, please let me know). It shouldn't interfere with functionality really since an edge could never hide more than half of the handle, but I agree that it's visually annoying.

I just had an idea - what if you just made your FlexTransformManager instance a bit larger and then set the bounds to be inset a bit. Maybe create a creationComplete listener that does something like:

myManager.bounds = new Rectangle(10, 10, myManager.width - 20, myManager.height - 20);

That'd give it 10 pixels of padding around the edges so that your handles wouldn't get chopped by the Flex Container.

Just a thought. Oh, and if you're going to do that, make sure you download the latest version because it looks like in Flex 4, the creationComplete gets called before the Container is even added to the stage (ugh, the joys of working with the Flex framework) so I updated the class to work around that in terms of allowing bounds to be set early. https://www.greensock.com/account/

• 4 weeks later...
That's a limitation in Flex that frankly I don't think there's a way around (if anyone else knows otherwise, please let me know).

Apparently there is an easy way to keep this from happening, at least with flex4... Set clipContent="false" on your FlexTransformManager. My handles are now completely visible -- even the ugly rotation handle at the bottom that I was forced to create..