Search Community

scrollTo within timeline

elspoono2 test
Moderator Tag

I'm using the following code to automatically scroll a div up & down when the user has not been interacting for a while (idle). 

objListingScrollTween = gsap.timeline({ repeat: -1, repeatDelay: 1, yoyo: true });
objListingScrollTween.add(gsap.to("#sessionListingsHolder", { duration: 5, scrollTo: { y: "max" }, ease: "none"}));

This works fine but I have two questions:

1) is there an inbuilt way of getting the value of  "max" ?

2) when the user interacts, I pause the timeline. When idle resumes I call resume() on the timeline. But the user may have scrolled manually to a different scroll position in which case there is a jump. Is there an inbuilt way to get the value the timeline needs to seek() to in order to restart the timeline from the correct place?

thanks

Hey elspoono2 and welcome.

3 hours ago, elspoono2 said:

1) is there an inbuilt way of getting the value of  "max" ?

let maxScroll = document.body.offsetHeight - window.innerHeight;

All you need is JS :) 

3 hours ago, elspoono2 said:

Is there an inbuilt way to get the value the timeline needs to seek() to in order to restart the timeline from the correct place?

I don't really understand what you're asking here. It sounds like you're wanting to use some ratio to set the state of the timeline? Usually .progress() is more useful for .seek() for that sort of thing.

• Like 2

Hi Zach

Thanks for the "max" js.

As I understand it progress() will give me the current position of the timeline but if the user has manually scrolled the div to a new position this won't match correct?. So maybe I do need a ratio to synchronise the timeline via progress() or seek(). Does that make sense? I guess I could remake the timeline from scratch each time rather than pausing/resuming maybe that would be easier?

10 minutes ago, elspoono2 said:

maybe I do need a ratio to synchronise the timeline via progress() or seek(). Does that make sense?

Yep, that was what I was suggesting :) .progress() makes it easier because you just need the ratio. 

10 minutes ago, elspoono2 said:

I guess I could remake the timeline from scratch each time rather than pausing/resuming maybe that would be easier?

I can't say given you haven't shared your setup. That is an option if it works, hah.

• Like 1