Search Community

Experienced in animation .. but having a hard time with this. Once i can successfully create a working html that displays without having the js itself within the html or css, i can begin.

MarkTrujillo test
Moderator Tag

New to Greensock but have over a decade experience in animation and after effects, blender,  maya,  mudbox,... coding a working interface and how to get all the examples ive tried to work , working,  is becoming a weeklong mission.  

Im using bodymovin... 

https://codepen.io/Mmaarrkk/pen/rNVdyQe

Here's the only one i did that has worked,  but only because the js is in the html. 

I tried building it from the json file that Bodymovin generated from After effects...

Ive done previous animations with this illustrator piece a few times... i tweened it once.. but this gsap platform, as much better as it is,  it's something ive been hitting a brick wall with. 

Dang, that's a heavy animation. Bodymovin/Lottie is definitely not a lightweight way of animating :) 

2 hours ago, MarkTrujillo said:

Here's the only one i did that has worked,  but only because the js is in the html. 

Sounds like a load order issue for your other projects then. Without more info it's impossible to say.

this gsap platform, as much better as it is,  it's something ive been hitting a brick wall with. 

We're happy to help with anything related to GSAP! It's impossible to know how to help more based on the given information though. Let us know what specific questions you have.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ZachSaucier said:

Dang, that's a heavy animation. Bodymovin/Lottie is definitely not a lightweight way of animating :) 

Nope. It's brutal. Each time I think I may want to try it for a project I end up scrapping the idea and animating with GSAP.

PS @MarkTrujillo Welcome to the forum. I think you win the award for longest thread title. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, ZachSaucier said:

We're happy to help with anything related to GSAP! It's impossible to know how to help more based on the given information though. Let us know what specific questions you have.

What about using the json file that bodymovin generated as an API call? Is there a code for that? Where i can make commands upon click or as a transition? 

2 minutes ago, MarkTrujillo said:

What about using the json file that bodymovin generated as an API call? Is there a code for that? Where i can make commands upon click or as a transition? 

Lottie does support calling the animation at a particular time AFAIK. That's not the main issue though - the load order, file size, and performance are. It's also not a question for the GSAP forums :) 

• Thanks 1

Is there an API call system/ codes for Json files.

Have you taken time to look at their documentation? Neither Bodymovin or Lottie are GSAP products. 😉

https://airbnb.io/lottie/#/web

This older video by @chrisgannon may give you some insights if you have not seen it yet also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeY9qGUT3zQ

Chris is a wonderful example of what can be accomplished with GSAP and creative talent. So check out his codepen, youtube, etc., to see all kinds of wonderful creations with SVG and GSAP.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1