Search Community

What browsers are supported by gsap 3?

Friebel test
Moderator Tag

On 3/1/2020 at 2:19 AM, ZachSaucier said:

Hey Friebel. GSAP 3 should be supported back to IE9, at least for most things. As Shrug asked, is there anything specific that you're having issues with?

Yes, IE11 reports that 'endrag' on a Draggable is not supported or something like that. 

I saw your initial response that indicated endDrag() was removed from Draggable in v3 (and subsequent editing of your response...I assume you saw for yourself what I'm about to say) @Friebel - I just wanted to mention that it was NOT removed. I think that's why Zach was asking for a demo. Nobody here is trying to be snarky or rude or anything with all these requests for reduced test cases - it's just really, really difficult for us to troubleshoot blind like this and you'll exponentially increase your chances of getting good answers here if you provide some context via a reduced test case. Sorry if that comes across as annoying. :( We just want to get you accurate answers as promptly as we can, and I'm sure that's what you want too. 

Anyway, we'd love to help identify what's going on here and I look forward to seeing any other information you can share. 👍

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, GreenSock said:

I saw your initial response that indicated endDrag() was removed from Draggable in v3 (and subsequent editing of your response...I assume you saw for yourself what I'm about to say) @Friebel - I just wanted to mention that it was NOT removed. I think that's why Zach was asking for a demo. Nobody here is trying to be snarky or rude or anything with all these requests for reduced test cases - it's just really, really difficult for us to troubleshoot blind like this and you'll exponentially increase your chances of getting good answers here if you provide some context via a reduced test case. Sorry if that comes across as annoying. :( We just want to get you accurate answers as promptly as we can, and I'm sure that's what you want too. 

Anyway, we'd love to help identify what's going on here and I look forward to seeing any other information you can share. 👍

I know jack, that's why I removed my post so quickly. I know you guys are working hard and are nice guys and very helpful and I understand debugging other projects takes a lot of work and is not fun. I don't want you guys to do my debugging either. Most of the time I just ask a question here to be sure things didn't change so I'm not running in circles or whatever. But I always want to solve things myself here and don't want to waste your time with that.

On the other hand last week I was pretty much debugging gsap itself in the end and it took me a lot of time because there were some nasty things I bumped into. And than it's not so much fun to hear this demo-question all the time and also things like 'nothing has changed in v3', as it was already taking me a lot of time to upgrade and that wouldn't be the case if the issues I've bumped into weren't there. Also in the end a lot DID change and was causing these issues.

[edit] Also unfortunately it's not all done. Still struggling with some draggable issues. If I find the time I make a demo, but first I have to figure out why things are not working anymore, while in v2 they were. And if that's some issue in my code (for example made during upgrade) or somehow related to the lib.

Also if you look at this exact thread where I was just asking what browsers are supported by gsap and you see I directly received the question to supply a demo again ( @Shrug ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ) , which is crazy to me if I just ask for what browsers are supported... That to me was like that question is so rusted and brainwashed to some here and I was like; please people, just read the question first and think if you really need a demo.

I am working on a lot projects at the same time and after a week of upgrading like 30 projects to gsap v3 I was a little tired of just another issue with it and saw it only in IE11 so the asking for a demo again was the drop for me. But I shouldn't have put that on you and should have thought a little longer before posting.

I respect you guys a lot and I think it's great you take questions this seriously and that's great. So that's why I removed my post so quickly. Sorry you saw this, I did remove it because I shouldn't have written that and think longer. And in the end it was my own mistake this time in my code, because during the conversion from v2 to v3 of so many projects I changed in this project the this.draggableThing = Draggble.create()... into this.draggableThing = Draggable.create()[0]. So from an array to a single instance. That's why this.draggableThing[0].endDrag() couldn't be found.

43 minutes ago, Friebel said:

Also if you look at this exact thread where I was just asking what browsers are supported by gsap and you see I directly received the question to supply a demo again ( @Shrug ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ) , which is crazy to me if I just ask for what browsers are supported.

I just assumed you had already read through the GSAP release notes and had already seen the following:

https://greensock.com/3-release-notes/#faq

• Dumped legacy code for thing like IE8 and workarounds for very old browsers.

Which @ZachSaucier further pointed out in his statement of “GSAP 3 should be supported back to IE9”. But I also mentioned if something was not working in a specific browser, which you then subsequently stated as being IE 11. Like @GreenSock points out asking for examples is not meant to be rhetorical or frustrating towards users like yourself. Instead its just easier to narrow down what issues may be occuring by seeing reduced test cases (perferably codepen). So if actual issues in the framework can be identified or confirmed, they are more easily diagnosed and corrected through stripped down examples without needing to pour through non related project factors. So please don't take that aspect personal when asked.

43 minutes ago, Friebel said:

in the end it was my own mistake this time in my code

It looks like based on your last sentence that you have since sorted out the issue in your project. 😉

• Like 2

Circling back to this. 

It looks like since Edge has moved to Webkit that MS has stopped even offering virtual machines for IE8-10 like they used to. They only offer IE11 VM support. I've also heard about companies that are being forced to update to Edge given the lack of support for the old IEs. In other words, as long as your app supports IE11 it should be perfectly fine in most cases, if that's even necessary. However, as mentioned, GSAP 3 is built to support back to IE9. Please let us know if something is not working in IE9 or 10 and also how we can get a development environment up and running using IE9 or 10.

I have just ran some basic tests in IE11 using Draggable including endDrag and dragend and it seems to work fine.

• Like 2

No worries, @Friebel, I get it. You sound pretty stressed out with all those projects you're migrating. Hopefully you can see the light at the end of the tunnel and you'll be lovin' GSAP 3 across all your projects soon :)

5 hours ago, Friebel said:

it's not so much fun to hear this demo-question all the time and also things like 'nothing has changed in v3', as it was already taking me a lot of time to upgrade and that wouldn't be the case if the issues I've bumped into weren't there. Also in the end a lot DID change and was causing these issues.

Sorry if my comments created confusion - I should have clarified that "nothing changed" meant "nothing intentionally changed and I'm not aware of any differences in behavior but perhaps there's a bug lurking somewhere in which case it'd really really help to see a reduced test case so we can fix it promptly". I pretty much completely rewrote the entire animation engine for v3 and it's a very complex library so it's tough for me to find all the edge cases that may not act like v2. But as you know, I'm committed to hunting down and violently squashing any bugs promptly. 

5 hours ago, Friebel said:

I changed in this project the this.draggableThing = Draggble.create()... into this.draggableThing = Draggable.create()[0]. So from an array to a single instance. That's why this.draggableThing[0].endDrag() couldn't be found.

Version 2.x had the same behavior in that regard, so I'm a bit confused. And what I mean by that is Draggable.create() has always returned an Array of Draggable instances (because you could pass in selector text that would match a bunch of elements). Glad you found the issue in your code, though. Let me know if there's anything else you run into. 

• Like 4

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, t.marty said:

SCRIPT5007: Object expected
gsap.min.js, line 10 character 32215

Is support for IE10 now finally over or will you try to fix this? :)

Ah, I tested 3.5.0 in IE9 and it worked fine but apparently IE10 supports ArrayBuffer but NOT ArrayBuffer.inView(). This is related to the new TypedArray support in 3.5.0. So the internal workaround for old browsers (checking for ArrayBuffer support) needed to be tweaked specifically for IE10 which I've done in the upcoming release. You can preview that at https://assets.codepen.io/16327/gsap-latest-beta.min.js

Sorry about any confusion there. Yeah, we work hard to support old browsers as much as possible. 👍

• Like 4