Search Community

Chrome 80 bug - failed to parse sourceMap

PointC test
Moderator Tag

Hey all,

Just a FYI here.  I'm working on a new project with Pixi and CustomEase/Wiggle and started getting weird errors and missing sprites. A look at the console showed   DevTools failed to parse SourceMap: ... (followed by some GSAP map files).

This seems like a new bug and has been reported. 

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1052872

Just thought I'd post in case anyone else was experiencing some issues. 

Happy tweening.

:)

• Like 2

Ha. I just saw that thread right after I posted. That'll teach me to be on hiatus. ;)

Uploading the GSAP map files seems to help, but my ad blocker source files occasionally fail to parse too so that can mess things up. I guess it all depends on what extensions you have and how badly you need them. Development sure is fun. :blink:

• Haha 2

Yeah, I've been seeing that a lot lately myself. In 3.2.2 (just released), I removed the references to the sourcemap files so that should eliminate some of the confusion. I'll probably add them back in a while after Chrome addresses the issue. Seems pretty clear it's a bug on their end. And frankly I'm not sure how many people are even using the GSAP sourcemap files anyway. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OSUblake said:

So are you done with your hiatus?

I could probably pop in a little bit, but @ZachSaucier seems to drop a first answer on most threads in a few minutes after posting and then you, @Shrug ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ and @mikel clean it all up. It looks like there's nothing left for me. I'll probably just put myself out to pasture as I no longer have the energy for answer battles. 👴

giphy.gif

• 1 month later...

I'm so confused how to fix this? i am using gsap within Google Web Designer. I am seeing the issue of gsap not loading and throwing this error not only in published files in chrome, but also in the GWD staging in firefox. I am very worried someone else will open a link and get this mess, but so far no one but me has encountered it. I am using 

<script src="https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/gsap/3.2.4/gsap.min.js"></script>

any advice would be SOOOO appreciated.

Hi @infrared. Are you saying that you see a message about Chrome having trouble parsing a sourceMap file? I can't imagine that's the case because the file you linked to doesn't even reference a sourceMap. Could you give us more details about the problem you're encountering and how we can see it too? We'd love to help, but I just don't understand what you're asking. 

• Like 1

I keep encountering this message: DevTools failed to parse SourceMap: gsap.min.js.map

and links to https://s0.2mdn.net/ads/studio/cached_libs/gsap.min.js.map

I have also consulted tech support at google web designer

google chrome 

Version 80.0.3987.163 (Official Build) (64-bit)

this is how i am linking greensock: 

<script src="https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/gsap/3.2.4/gsap.min.js"></script>

maybe it is something particular to my mac? like a dns issue? 

i would share my source file but the content is for an ad not launched yet

thanks for any advice

steve

First of all, this is a Chrome bug and has nothing to do with GSAP. It affects all libraries that point to source maps, and it'd only show up if you have Dev Tools open. 

Second, we removed the pointer to source maps a while back and the version you said you were pointing to has no such reference (look at the bottom of the code yourself). So there MUST be some other version loading on the page that you're talking about. Do you have a link to the page you're seeing that error on? It doesn't even have to be your real project (in fact, it's better if it's not - we only need the most reduced test case possible). 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...