Search Community

Has killAll() been deprecated in GSAP 3?

DapperDirewolf test
Moderator Tag

Greetings!

My apologies in advance if the answer to this question exists somewhere. I have had a look but I've not been able to spot anything conclusive.

I've used TweenMax exclusively for years in my HTML5 banners, and sometimes my banners have quite a lot of animation going on throughout.

However there are typically time limits for animation (after which no animation can be going on), so when it comes to stopping every animation, I used to rely on the extremely useful TweenMax.killAll(); to end everything at the same time; particularly useful when there are dozens of animations (on smaller things) running at the same time.

Though GSAP 3 was released a while back, I've only just begun to adopt it into my banner development process. However, it seems (unless I am mistaken - and please do correct me if I'm wrong) that killAll() no longer exists as a function.

I'm sure there's a very good reason for this, and I know I can still kill the animations of everything individually, but it seems like unnecessary extra custom code I now need to write when there was previously a function to do this automatically for every single active tween, in one single stroke.

Am I missing something? Is there a plugin or something else I have been embarrassingly oblivious to?

Many thanks!

Hey DapperDirewolf and welcome to the GreenSock forums!

Yes, I believe .killAll() has been deprecated. 

Why not pause the global timeline instead?  gsap.globalTimeline.pause()

See the Pen bGdWEbR?editors=0010 by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

If all of your tweens are on DOM elements you could also use gsap.killTweensOf("*").

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sure, how about this?

gsap.globalTimeline.clear()

That way, you're not pausing the entire timeline from that point on (which would mean future animations wouldn't play). Clearing a timeline just dumps all of its child animations. 👍

I just added a note in the Migration Guide about this: 

• Like 6