Search Community

Taking the plunge

msagerup test
Moderator Tag

Hi all. 

I have been eyeballing greensock for a while. As I have seen amazing things being made with Green-sock and Three.js. I would like to make amazing ux animations for web apps and web-pages. But! I don't know how or where to begin. This platform is quite scary looking. Especially for someone who is just getting to grasp with Javascript. 

Could someone give me a nuge in the right direction. in how to start?  also Can I use GreenSock with React? 

Thank you very much.

Hey msagerup and welcome to the wonderful world of GreenSock! It's really pretty simple once you start to get used to it.

highly recommend our Getting Started article. It provides all the basics you need to get started!

Beyond that article and video that's included, we have a great learning section that could keep you busy for days: https://greensock.com/learning

If you prefer video tutorials, there's a course called "GSAP 3 Express" by @Carl that does a good job of teaching some of the core concepts of GSAP. 

In terms of working with React, we have an article focused on that. It uses GSAP 2, but the core principles are still the same:

Someone also shared this article about using GSAP 3 + React with us that could help: https://soosap.co/blog/animating-react-components-with-gsap-v3/

That should be plenty of information to keep you busy for a while :) Feel free to hang around these forums to learn and ask any questions that you have as well! That's how several people have learned GSAP including one moderator named Craig here:

• Like 5

On 2/26/2020 at 8:22 PM, ZachSaucier said:

Hey msagerup and welcome to the wonderful world of GreenSock! It's really pretty simple once you start to get used to it.

highly recommend our Getting Started article. It provides all the basics you need to get started!

Beyond that article and video that's included, we have a great learning section that could keep you busy for days: https://greensock.com/learning

If you prefer video tutorials, there's a course called "GSAP 3 Express" by @Carl that does a good job of teaching some of the core concepts of GSAP. 

In terms of working with React, we have an article focused on that. It uses GSAP 2, but the core principles are still the same:

Someone also shared this article about using GSAP 3 + React with us that could help: https://soosap.co/blog/animating-react-components-with-gsap-v3/

That should be plenty of information to keep you busy for a while :) Feel free to hang around these forums to learn and ask any questions that you have as well! That's how several people have learned GSAP including one moderator named Craig here:

Thank you very much ! :)

On 2/26/2020 at 2:11 PM, msagerup said:

also Can I use GreenSock with React? 

Yes, but why? Can you justify the need for React? No, seriously. A lot of devs think React is necessary for some reason, but my response to using React for a project is usually... (insert nationality) 

If you're new to JavaScript, then I would focus on the language itself, DOM APIs, and CSS. Those amazing sites you see aren't amazing because they use React. They're amazing because they use gsap and three.js. 😉

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, OSUblake said:

A lot of devs think React is necessary for some reason, but my response to using React for a project is usually... (insert nationality) 

You could easily replace that reference of React with so many things in todays web or per project: Wordpress, JQuery, ... & 100's of other prime examples. Over complication seems to be the trend in todays web in so many cases.

Stop the web and all the buzz words lets agree to regroup a bit, the Wild Wild Web is alive and thriving.  😜

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Shrug ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

You could easily replace that reference of React with so many things in todays web or per project: Wordpress, JQuery, ... & 100's of other prime examples. Over complication seems to be the trend in todays web in so many cases.

Haha! So true.

I see way too many devs buy into frameworks like React and Vue, thinking their app will run faster because it has a virtual DOM. News flash: It won't! 

• Like 3

What?! No React?  😆

There is a project I have been working on for some time @msagerup and these GreenSock guys here are the best.  I wanted to use React just for the routing within the app but the client did not care. So I have been forced by the nature of the work to learn JavaScript itself, DOM APIs and CSS just as @OSUblake said. 

I can feel your excitement,  especially if you see the GreenSock showcase.  But get a solid base with JavaScript and GreenSock will be a breeze. It just makes sense when you work with it. Give yourself 3 to 6 months, depending on how much time you have.

• Like 3