Search Community

Tween between classes

regiotec test
Moderator Tag

Hey Leonardo and welcome to the GreenSock forums! Thanks for being a Business Green member, we couldn't do what do without people like you.

We recommend animating the properties that you need animated because tweening between classes isn't very performant, are not explicit, and adding support for them takes a significant amount of kbs for how few people use them. For more information, check out this post:

If you are having trouble converting your className tweens into regular tweens, please post and we'll be happy to help :) 

• Like 1

thx for the quick response.

I have no idea, hot convert the className tweens to regular tweens... (e.g from one shadow definition to another - i use the 24 shadow definitions from Google's Material Design, so how to Tween from shadow layer 1 to layer 16 by just having the classes?)

I'd save the value(s) that you want to animate to in the JS and then animate to them (look ma, no jQuery!)

See the Pen VwLpGmj?editors=0010 by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

You could get the values from the CSS stylesheet if needed but given the limited scope that you shared there's not much of a point in that.

Note that I'm using the GSAP 3.2 beta because there was a bug related to animating complex values that has since been fixed.

• Like 1

Inspired by your post, I whipped together an unofficial ClassNamePlugin for GSAP 3 which you can see here: 

See the Pen BaNRejV?editors=0010 by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

Feel free to use that in your projects but it's not something we plan to actively support or promise that it'll work flawlessly in every case. But it should be pretty rock solid for most use cases. 

Thanks for being a Club GreenSock member!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Hi Jack,

very big THX for yout Plugin!!!!! You're my hero!

On 2/28/2020 at 11:28 PM, GreenSock said:

Inspired by your post, I whipped together an unofficial ClassNamePlugin for GSAP 3 which you can see here: 

Feel free to use that in your projects but it's not something we plan to actively support or promise that it'll work flawlessly in every case. But it should be pretty rock solid for most use cases. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2020 at 5:54 PM, ZachSaucier said:

Hey Leonardo and welcome to the GreenSock forums! Thanks for being a Business Green member, we couldn't do what do without people like you.

We recommend animating the properties that you need animated because tweening between classes isn't very performant, are not explicit, and adding support for them takes a significant amount of kbs for how few people use them. For more information, check out this post:

If you are having trouble converting your className tweens into regular tweens, please post and we'll be happy to help :) 

Dear Zach,

i noticed, that with your code the "transform" attribute got lost if i tween between classes. Do You hav any idea?

TXH a lot

• 9 months later...
On 2/28/2020 at 11:28 PM, GreenSock said:

Thanx a lot - i really missed that feature and this works perfectly for me