Search Community

Not found in the migration docs: gotoAndPlay() is removed in favour of play()

Friebel test
Moderator Tag

@GreenSock It seems like there are some important things missing from the migration documents (also see previous post). Just found out that gotoAndPlay() is removed (and can be replaced by play()), but I can't find that in the migration guide. I see it in the release notes, but shouldn't this be in the migration guide as well? IMHO that would help people move from v2 to v3 without unexpected surprises.

As I said in your other thread (generally it's best to stick to the same thread and not ask the same question across multiple threads), not every change made it to the migration guide. The removal of gotoAndPlay on timelines didn't make the cut because we don't see many people using it. I have worked for GreenSock for almost a year now and this is the first time that I've heard of or seen it! Thanks for educating me, hah. 

I added a note about it in the release notes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ZachSaucier said:

I have worked for GreenSock for almost a year now and this is the first time that I've heard of or seen it! Thanks for educating me, hah. 

Ha. Same here. I've been a regular on this forum since 2014, and this is the first time I've ever heard of that. It sounds like a carryover from the Flash/AS API.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, OSUblake said:

sounds like a carryover from the Flash/AS API

Yes, I think gotoAndPlay( ) was Global Function dating all the way back to Flash 2. I honestly don't remember regarding the AS version of GSAP. But I suppose if anything its relative to Animate but not sure if its still relative with GSAP 3. Maybe @Carl will know. Now I'm curious thats a blast from tha past.

• Like 1

now-thats-a-name-i-havent-heard-since-i-

Yeah, shrug, I can't remember the last time gotoAndPlay() was referenced anywhere on this site. It was deprecated ages ago.  I'm guessing very close to when the JS flavor first came out when parity with AS3 had some value. And yes, gotoAndPlay() is still part of the CreateJS API to control and Animate timeline.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Yes indeed! It was totally from Flash because that was a method name Adobe used in their stuff, so it made logical sense to have it in the API but now it just seems weird. We had it in there as basically an alias pointing to play() for convenience and it hasn't been documented for ages. We did some housecleaning when rebuilding GSAP 3; didn't seem worth even doing an alias. I honestly don't think I've EVER seen someone use gotoAndPlay() for at least 5 years, probably more. :)

• Like 2