Search Community

MorphSVGPlugin Undefined while importing, and missing plugin when not importing.

Etetherin test
Moderator Tag

When I try to use MotioonSVGPlugin without importing it I get this:

Invalid property morphSVG set to .OrbitIndicatorProgradePath001 Missing plugin? gsap.registerPlugin()

I get this readout when trying to import MorphSVGPlugin: 

index.js:3 Uncaught ReferenceError: MorphSVGPlugin is not defined at index.js:3

Here is how I am trying to import it as per the plugins page:

//Import plugisn from GreenSock
gsap.registerPlugin(MotionPathPlugin);
gsap.registerPlugin(MorphSVGPlugin);

I am honestly really new to coding if it was not obvious. So the codepen may not show you what you need to know. 

So here is what I have in my actual code to grab it with:

Draggable.create($prograde,{	
		lockAxis: true, //allows locking to an axis
		type:"x", //locks to the x axis
		bounds: document.querySelector(".control-prograde"), //makes it so it wont drag outside of the box.
		dragResistance: .5,
		onDragEnd: function() {
			gsap.to(this.target, 0.25, {x: 0, y: 0});// when user lets go it sends the icon back to its start position.
			gsap.to(".OrbitIndicatorDefault001", 1, {morphSVG: ".OrbitIndicatorProgradePath001"});
			// gsap.to(".svg_rocket", {duration: 5, motionPath: ""}); //starts the animation when the user lets go.

// $DefaultOrbit.classList.add('hidden');
			// $DefaultExplain.classList.add("hidden");
			// $ProgradeElipse.classList.remove("hidden");
			// $ProgradeExplain.classList.remove("hidden");
		}, 

onDrag: function(){
			console.log($prograde.style.transform)
			;
		}
	}
);

Lastly I am not sure how to get the thing to run on the codepen, I am lost and trying to figure this all out. Thanks for the help! 

See the Pen jOPVRNQ by Etetherin (@Etetherin) on CodePen

I don't have much time right now (running out the door to church) but I noticed a few things:

1. You're loading a SUUUPER old GSAP and the latest MorphSVGPlugin (those won't work together). 
  2. You're trying to animate an <ellipse> element, but MorphSVGPlugin can only morph <path> elements. You need to convert that. MorphSVGPlugin has a convertToPath() method for that.
  3. As for loading it into your project, please see the https://greensock.com/install page for details. Did you download the zip file and make sure the MorphSVGPlugin file is in your project? 

See the Pen f1eed6f6d2e66d11307468c06e8e2902 by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GreenSock said:

You're loading a SUUUPER old GSAP and the latest MorphSVGPlugin (those won't work together). 

I am not actually, thats just a symptom of me not understanding how to use codepen with your plugins. here is a screenshot of my html scripts section:

image.thumb.png.443fc222a8049876efc0a3fdd9554d04.png

It auto completed the js/MorphSVGPlugin.min.js so i know its there....

but i am still getting this:

image.thumb.png.eca7b84c8eb4bd448f6eea0cf4fdc324.png

You're trying to animate an <ellipse> element, but MorphSVGPlugin can only morph <path> elements. You need to convert that. MorphSVGPlugin has a convertToPath() method for that.

I fixed this thank you. :)

image.thumb.png.af65d3a7f6cb30443237c1f57a3cf59b.png

As for loading it into your project, please see the https://greensock.com/install page for details. Did you download the zip file and make sure the MorphSVGPlugin file is in your project? 

I followed those but to be fair i still get the error....

5 minutes ago, Etetherin said:

It auto completed the js/MorphSVGPlugin.min.js so i know its there....

but i am still getting this:

image.thumb.png.eca7b84c8eb4bd448f6eea0cf4fdc324.png

Hm, it looks like you're loading it correctly but it's very difficult to troubleshoot blind (without seeing your actual project and trying to run it in the browser and seeing the error in context). If you're still having trouble, please create a reduced test case (only the absolute minimal code to reproduce the problem - you don't need to share your entire project) and share that with us. Maybe zip it and send me a direct message with a link or put it here but remove MorphSVGPlugin (so that you don't accidentally make it freely available to anyone who stumbles across this thread :)

Once I can generate the error on my end, I'll be able to give you better info about how to fix it. 

Side note: I wonder why you're using a bunch of different <svg> elements for your assets instead of just having them all in one. Not only would that be more efficient and bulletproof, but you wouldn't have to grapple with various different coordinate spaces. For example, I wonder if you're trying to make that ellipse morph and match up with that other (green) shape, but they're misaligned because they're in totally different <svg> elements with different coordinate spaces. See what I mean? 

I would certainly recommend merging them all into one if that's possible. It'll also solve your original issue as well because you wouldn't be trying to align an <svg> itself (browsers treat those oddly in terms of measuring coordinates and width/height, like offsetWidth/offsetHeight is null). 

• Like 1

Hm, it looks like you're loading it correctly but it's very difficult to troubleshoot blind (without seeing your actual project and trying to run it in the browser and seeing the error in context). If you're still having trouble, please create a reduced test case (only the absolute minimal code to reproduce the problem - you don't need to share your entire project) and share that with us. Maybe zip it and send me a direct message with a link or put it here but remove MorphSVGPlugin (so that you don't accidentally make it freely available to anyone who stumbles across this thread :)

Once I can generate the error on my end, I'll be able to give you better info about how to fix it. 

Side note: I wonder why you're using a bunch of different <svg> elements for your assets instead of just having them all in one. Not only would that be more efficient and bulletproof, but you wouldn't have to grapple with various different coordinate spaces. For example, I wonder if you're trying to make that ellipse morph and match up with that other (green) shape, but they're misaligned because they're in totally different <svg> elements with different coordinate spaces. See what I mean? 

I would certainly recommend merging them all into one if that's possible. It'll also solve your original issue as well because you wouldn't be trying to align an <svg> itself (browsers treat those oddly in terms of measuring coordinates and width/height, like offsetWidth/offsetHeight is null). 

Im not sure how to make a reduced case, or like im not sure what to take out really. 

I think the svg's need to be separate for my use case. I could be wrong but I am trying trying to Hide ones at certain times and at a later point there is going to be a completely different view. Thus I think that it needs to be a different svg's. 

All that being said i think this is the minified version of my project?

Edited by GreenSock
Included MorphSVGPlugin in file, so it needed to be deleted.

Ah, you were using an old version 2-based MorphSVGPlugin file which won't work with GSAP 3. You need to use the file that came in the GSAP 3 download. I'm curious where you got that old MorphSVGPlugin file. 

Once I swapped in the latest MorphSVGPlugin file, it seemed to work fine. You just forgot to convert the ellipse element to a path, but I know you're familiar with that now. 

As for needing to hide certain things at certain times, you can totally do that if everything is in one <svg>. You could simply put each thing into its own <g> tag or something, and hide whichever ones you want. It's not "wrong" to use multiple <svg> elements - it can just make things more tricky and error-prone. It's up to you. 

Let us know if you need anything else. 

• Like 1

Oh, and I removed your file because you put MorphSVGPlugin inside that .rar file which I asked you not to do because it would make it easy for anyone to download and get access to (without a Club GreenSock membership). Just letting you know in case you wondered why the file attachment is gone. 

Good luck with your project!

Ah, you were using an old version 2-based MorphSVGPlugin file which won't work with GSAP 3. You need to use the file that came in the GSAP 3 download. I'm curious where you got that old MorphSVGPlugin file. 

Once I swapped in the latest MorphSVGPlugin file, it seemed to work fine. You just forgot to convert the ellipse element to a path, but I know you're familiar with that now. 

As for needing to hide certain things at certain times, you can totally do that if everything is in one <svg>. You could simply put each thing into its own <g> tag or something, and hide whichever ones you want. It's not "wrong" to use multiple <svg> elements - it can just make things more tricky and error-prone. It's up to you. 

Let us know if you need anything else. 

I downloaded the wrong one? wow im an idiot. 
image.png.edd1a262dad9e94b698d179792876d7b.png

Also im so sorry, I did not fully understand what you asked me to do. In my head i thought for sure you needed it because It was integral, but now i see what you are saying. I am again so sorry.

I know that this is beyond the scope of greensock now, I really appreciate the help.

So you say add ALL the svgs into one <svg> </svg>? Do you mean literally all of them? I ask because what of the ones that are in different <section>?? 

<section>

<svg></svg>

<svg></svg>

<svg></svg>

<svg></svg>

</section>

This one makes sense i could turn it into this:

<section>

<svg>
        <style>(ALL OF THE STYLES FROM ALL OF THEM</style>
        <g></g> 
        <g></g>
        <g></g>
        <g></g>

</svg>

</section>

But the ones that are in other sections i have no idea how to do that.

Also I am animating parts of the svgs and they stop showing at the clipping mask like you can see this in action here:
http://aambrose.musites.org/interactive/test/

Which the top right with the clouds and land going by loop seamlessly. Could i still do that if they are all in the same <svg>????

Again thank you so much for all the help, perhaps some day I will be able to repay the favor by helping out here as well :). You did inspire me to buy the pro stuff.

1 hour ago, Etetherin said:

I downloaded the wrong one?

Yep, glad you figured that out. Don't feel bad. :)

Also im so sorry, I did not fully understand what you asked me to do. In my head i thought for sure you needed it because It was integral, but now i see what you are saying.

No problem - I probably wasn't clear enough. No harm done. 

So you say add ALL the svgs into one <svg> </svg>? Do you mean literally all of them? I ask because what of the ones that are in different <section>?? 

Yes. Or just combine the ones in each section. If they don't really interact with each other, it's fine to keep them separate - my main concern was that you seemed to have various artwork in separate <svg> containers interacting with each other (like using a path from one SVG as the motionPath for something in another <svg> or morphing between chunks of artwork in totally different <svg> containers). Again, it's up to you - I didn't mean to imply you're doing it "wrong". But I've seen people get into jams because they're trying to get things to line up in different coordinate spaces and you could avoid all that by putting them in one SVG. 

Which the top right with the clouds and land going by loop seamlessly. Could i still do that if they are all in the same <svg>????

Yeah, probably. There's masks and clipping paths you could use. But if it's easier to keep it in a separate SVG, that's totally fine. It didn't look like there was any stuff in the upper right SVG that needed to line up with other SVG artwork, so feel free to keep it separate. 

Again thank you so much for all the help, perhaps some day I will be able to repay the favor by helping out here as well :). You did inspire me to buy the pro stuff.

Happy to help! And thanks for joining Club GreenSock! Great to have you on board. I hope the tools serve you well. Enjoy!

• Like 1