Search Community

Feature Request - Progress() with Easing

saar62097 test
Moderator Tag

Hey Greensock

Would be great to have the progress() function return 0-1 normalized with the selected easing.

I just animated the rotation of car wheels, and needed that rotation to match the easing of the tween of the car's movement.

Ended up using my own method, by fetching one of the tweened properties ( (current_value-start_value)/(end_value-start_value) ), but a generic progressWithEasing(), or another property to the progress() method, like 'normalize with easing' or something would be great...

Cheers.

hello Zach

here is a previous question, whoever responded with the working codepen did what I did, i.e setup a proxy, but the feature request remains ( :-) ) , instead of the proxy way, have it as a built in method (again: the problem is that progress() as-is does not reflect the easing chosen for the specific tween):

(posted here because i did not find a dedicated feature-request forum...)

You can easily get this value by passing in the current .progress() to the ease function. You can do that using GSAP 3's parseEase() function:

See the Pen LYVNjoo?editors=0010 by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

Or use the _ease property of a tween (never set anything that has _ in GSAP but sometimes accessing it is okay):

See the Pen OJVNjYR?editors=0010 by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ZachSaucier said:

I guess we should add that to the docs.

That might be helpful!

And just a little FYI. The progress being passed into the render method of a plugin is the ratio

render(progress, data) {
  data.target.style[blurProperty] = data.interp(progress);
}

See the Pen NWKjEBG by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

• Like 4

• 2 years later...
On 2/16/2020 at 9:00 PM, ZachSaucier said:

Add this.ratio to the list of things I've never seen before :) I guess we should add that to the docs.

While it seems that `.ratio` has been in the docs for a while, I think it would also be helpful to add a little info to the `.progress()` sub page that this gives you the value before easing. I thought I was going insane here, because I didn't know that.

1 hour ago, trych said:

While it seems that `.ratio` has been in the docs for a while, I think it would also be helpful to add a little info to the `.progress()` sub page that this gives you the value before easing. I thought I was going insane here, because I didn't know that.

Done. 

• Like 1