Search Community

Adobe Animate + Draggable & Intertia?

Mark test
Moderator Tag

Hello, 

I'm just returning to GSAP, was an actionscript user back in the day. But I'm no web developer.  So I'm trying the familiar tools first.

Before I renew my shockingly green membership... can anyone say if the additional plugins (draggable+inertia) work in animate/html5 canvas?

I'm not up on Adobe stuff anymore either, but I can say that Draggable is built for DOM elements, so that probably won't work. But yeah, the core GSAP and InertiaPlugin should work with literally ANY JavaScript object. Absolutely. Feel free to try stuff out before you sign up for Club GreenSock again, just to make sure it all fits into your workflow well (it should, except Draggable). Of course there's a money back guarantee anyway, so no worries if you sign up early and change your mind. No rush though. We sure appreciate your support!

Thanks for the quick feedback.  Yea I read that article and been messing around with Adobe Animate today... pining for the days of yore.  I think I have to bury that software with everyone else and get into a proper DOM, adobe's html5 export provides a subset of .swf (eg no input fields) and .swf is dead this year.

JS/HTML/CSS is  Just not quite as approachable for quick prototyping for an aging designer like me. :)  but seems designer tools these days are all about click through... I need logic, interactivity, and animation(gsap of course)

got some learning to do.

17 minutes ago, Mark said:

JS/HTML/CSS is  Just not quite as approachable for quick prototyping for an aging designer like me. :)  but seems designer tools these days are all about click through... I need logic, interactivity, and animation(gsap of course)

There are some tools that are trying to do that. Searching "web design tool output to code" will come up with some. But they are still pretty limited in what they can do at this point in time. 

There are also some tools that are attempting to use GSAP to add animation capabilities. But they're pretty limited at this point in time as well: 

Thanks for the support and advice.  I think next I'll try framerX - though it's still a new development and it means I have to use the mac (meh).

It has react under the hood, and I should be able to include the gsap library,  failing that...... guess i'm learning react. 😛

10 hours ago, Mark said:

guess i'm learning react. 😛

Nothing wrong with that. I do like how React has helped move front end development forward. But at the same time, I also hate how devs focus too much on React.

React is not the be-all and end-all. Yesterday it was jQuery, today it is React, what's it going to be tomorrow? I don't know, but I do know something that will never change, and that is the DOM. Learn the DOM and maybe some canvas, and current year technology shouldn't matter too much. In the end, it will all be JavaScript (not including wasm).

I'm hoping that one of these days we might be able to focus on standard components, just like @Rodrigo brought up.

• Like 2