Search Community

Verizion Collapsable Ad Unit

explorerzip test
Moderator Tag

Has anyone come across a collapsable ad unit like this? https://onecreative.aol.com/view/public?ids=420584&keys=11e21a9d1a854e7eb97df74f90a9c15f&secure=true where the ad starts in the expanded state and when the user presses the Close Ad button, the collapsed state appears.

Verizon seems to have developed this proprietary ad specification: https://adspecs.verizonmedia.com/adformats/displayads/970x250-billboard/ I think the idea is to have the ad move up and out of the way of web-page content. Google's expandable ads work differently in that they start in the collapsed state and the user initiates the expanded state.

I have duplicated the expand / collapse functions with a Google provided template using Google Web Designer. I did have to "hack" that template so that the ad starts expanded and the user can initiate the collapsed state though.

However, my media company has rejected my ad a number of times because  it shows up as a 970x31 (the collapsed state dimensions) whey they expect the expanded (970x250) dimensions.

I assume that I have to change my ad dimensions in CSS, but wanted to see what everyone thinks before I mess around aimlessly.

Verizon didn't create that format, the 970x250 is just a standard billboard ad, part of the IAB fixed unit portfolio. Most campaigns I take on have that unit included. I believe the collapsible ad you see is an older format (at least I can remember those years back on YouTube). Yeah, just make the ad 970x250 that doesn't expand/collapse.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2020 at 8:04 AM, davi said:

Verizon didn't create that format, the 970x250 is just a standard billboard ad, part of the IAB fixed unit portfolio. Most campaigns I take on have that unit included. I believe the collapsible ad you see is an older format (at least I can remember those years back on YouTube). Yeah, just make the ad 970x250 that doesn't expand/collapse.

I know that 970x250 is a standard IAB ad. I was referring to having the ad start in the expanded state and then the user clicks a button to display the collapsed state. I haven't come across any rich-media ads like this. The only rich-media ads I've made thus far open in the collapsed (or smaller) state and the the user clicks a button to expand it to a larger state. 

Used to be both years back, depending on what site's allowed. Then gradually became more start collapsed, and then expand on click. Probably because of it messing with user experience, and ended up being more of a on user-interaction approach instead. I rarely even see expandable ads nowadays.

26 minutes ago, davi said:

Used to be both years back, depending on what site's allowed. Then gradually became more start collapsed, and then expand on click. Probably because of it messing with user experience, and ended up being more of a on user-interaction approach instead. I rarely even see expandable ads nowadays.

Yeah, I seldom see rich-media ads anymore. I guess marketers feel that the ROI is no longer there to develop and traffic these ads.