Search Community

Using Gsap3 with WebXR

Marko82 test
Moderator Tag

Hi Everyone,

I have been working on the project involving WebXR, using ThreeJs and Gsap 3. And I have notice that when you initialize webXR session (clicking on 'Enter VR' button) update of Gsap's timelines just stops.  They mention in How to create VR content on ThreeJs' website that you need to call setAnimationLoop() from their renderer and to pass callback and that you can't use window.requestAnimationFrame() function (I need to investigate this topic more).

The problem was solved calling gsap.ticker.tick() from the callback function. For testing, I have added listener to gsap.ticker and it was working fine when webXR session is not initialized.

Is there a better method to update gsap timelines, and am I missing something?

I used Oculus Quest for headset and Oculus Browser which is based on Chromium.

Hey Marko and welcome to the GreenSock forums! Thanks a lot for being a Business Green member, we couldn't do what we do without people like you.

Can you please create a minimal example that produces this error? We'd like to figure out exactly what's going on and if we can do anything to get around it. 

• 1 year later...

I currently have the same problem, when I enter the VR immersion, the timelines stop and when I exit the VR immersion to the internal browser of the Quest these timelines continue playing, this does not happen if it is entered from the Firefox browser for quest. happens in quest one and two.

look this videos:(Quest Broswer) https://youtu.be/Ajrj8TnF-mg  (Filezilla Virtual Firefox) https://youtu.be/_asBfxb9xDk

You can test the page at the following link: https://storage.googleapis.com/webaframe/index.html

here I call the library

image.thumb.png.25d16af08b297d569e7b981f80390fea.png

these lines move the totems up

image.png.ed2498409838970a7d8080543d597d0d.png

I had not noticed the error until today, I had been working with a htc ViVe, until they noticed the error, today I got the Quest to debug, but I don't know very well how to do it, I'm working on it

So sync gsap.ticker with aframe tick

<script>
            AFRAME.registerComponent('fps30component', {
              init: function () {
                this.tick = AFRAME.utils.throttleTick(this.tick30this);
              },
              tick: function (timedelta) {
                gsap.ticker.tick(delta);
              }
            });

</script>
<a-scene fps30component>
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I bumped into this post because I wanted to make sure gsap works in immersive mode with WebXR. Because the browser cancels any rAF and uses it's own vr session raF. 

Is it compatible?

Hi,

If you add this to your app file:

useGSAP(() => {
  console.log("current GSAP frame", gsap.ticker.frame);
  setTimeout(() => console.log("current GSAP frame", gsap.ticker.frame), 100);
});

You'll see that both logs are more than zero, that means that the GSAP Ticker is actually running, which means you could use GSAP in this particular project.

If you have a specific GSAP related issue, remember to include your GSAP specific code.

Hopefully this helps.

Happy Tweening!

It would be super helpful if you could just create the most minimal, basic demo in Stackblitz that illustrates the issue. The link you provided has a lot of different files and it isn't at all clear (to me at least) what you're asking, which file you're talking about, how to reproduce the problem, etc. 

I noticed that you've got duration: 500 on an animation and I wonder if you thought that durations were in milliseconds (they're in seconds), so perhaps you meant duration: 0.5?