GreenSock

Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dez

MotionPathPlugin

Every time I see this thread full of trains it reminds me of Daniel Shiffman’s coding train. 😀

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Dez said:

What do you use to create the SVG’s? Has anyone ever thought of creating a tutorial for it? I’ve used Illustrator, Gimp, Inkscape, Affinity Photo and Designer etc. But the code I output never looks as concise as yours.

For simple things we usually write them by hand :) For more complex things, we use one of the programs you listed and then usually cut out the irrelevant parts using SVGOMG and/or by hand.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Dez said:

If you don’t mind me asking. What do you use to create the SVG’s?

A graphic designer. Saves me so much time. 😉

9 minutes ago, Dez said:

But the code I output never looks as concise as yours.

I do use Illustrator, but sometimes that can create sloppy code. Running it through it something like svgomg can help clean it up.

https://jakearchibald.github.io/svgomg/

Also, I tweak a lot of stuff by hand.

• Like 2

I too have used all those apps and yes SVGOMG is a must (especially for Illustrator 😵).

Boxy SVG is another nice one. Its $10 for the desktop app and allows you to create visually and see the code simultaneously. So that may help with learning and understanding SVG.

6 minutes ago, Shrug ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Boxy SVG

An old favorite of mine! Didn't know they started charging for it though.

• Haha 1
48 minutes ago, Dez said:

SVG’s? Has anyone ever thought of creating a tutorial for it?

These are all older, so somethings may no longer apply to GSAP 3, but you should still be able to get some good insight into SVG + GSAP related things.

https://greensock.com/svg-tips

https://greensock.com/forums/topic/13681-svg-gotchas/

https://greensock.com/forums/topic/18010-better-adobe-illustrator-svg-exports-make-gsap-animating-easier/

In case you have not seen them previously and for others happening across this thread.

This is a good comprehensive one also:

https://svgontheweb.com/

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys,

Acting on your advice I took a closer look at Illustrator via a Youtube video called “How to Optimize/Simplify Path in Adobe Illustrator Tips for Beginners” and discovered the “Object/Path/Simplify” menu.

That along with SVGOMG should cut down on my SVG code and make life a lot easier.

I'll also be looking at the links Shrug has pointed me to.

Regards,

Dez

• Like 2

Good afternoon guys,

Sorry, to have to come back with my latest problem.

In the Firefox console I get errors:
       "Unexpected value undefined parsing cx attribute."
       "Unexpected value undefined parsing cy attribute."

In JS lines 33 & 34.

These errors are what seems to be stopping the wheelPath rotation.

These errors don't show in my CodePen demo console. But the result is the same.
Please see:

See the Pen dyoJRKv by spring99 (@spring99) on CodePen

Any ideas anyone. I've redone so many times, over and over, with the same result.

Thank you,

Dez

Hey Dez.

If you console.log what p is, you will see that it's returning a Matrix2D object, not a point. This is because you didn't provide a point object as the third parameter - see the .convertCoordinate docs for more information.

I think you want something like this?

See the Pen gOpoEEe?editors=0010 by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

If you're going to be updating the same properties over and over in a callback like that it's probably better to use .quickSetter:

See the Pen GRJyLoG?editors=0010 by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

Hey @Dez,

In my childhood, steam locomotives were still a normal part of our everyday life.

I can still hear the sounds, the steaming and whistling. Fascinating, impressive technology.
And here is a small replica (work in progress):

See the Pen gOpXozV by mikeK (@mikeK) on CodePen

Happy steaming ...

Mikel

• Like 4

Hi Mikel,

Thank you for taking an interest in my post.

I too am of the age when there were only steam locomotives. I remember them well.

We’re booked on the newly built “Tornado” locomotive in a couple of months time.

Your “work in progress” is brilliant and I’m hoping that mine will be as good eventually.

But it’s proving a small headache at the moment. I think my age is getting in the way.

Anyway happy steaming to you too,

Dez

• Like 3

Hi All,

Back again with my latest problem. I've been attempting to modify Zach and Blakes "convertCoordinates" pens, to suit my loco animation, but I can't get the piston link arm to follow the blueArm. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

See the Pen bGdJMPO by spring99 (@spring99) on CodePen

Hey Dez. The issue is that the blue line is a line (which has x and y coordinates for the start and end) whereas the pistonlink is an image (which doesn't have start and end x and y coordinates). You have to use a different approach as such.

You can take a look at what mikel did in his demo (the treibstange variable) and do something similar. He updated the rotation in the onUpdate:

onUpdate: function() {
  let prog = this.progress();  
  gsap.set(treibstange, {rotation: Math.sin(prog * Math.PI * 2) * - 6.5, transformOrigin:'left center'}); // ???
}

• Like 1

That's exactly what I wanted Blake. I tried the method Zach suggested of Mikels. But both Mikel and I had difficulty keeping the piston end of the rod still. It tended to wander up and down, albeit a small amount.

But this way it stays rock steady. Great stuff Blake. I don't know how you do it in such a short space of time. I've been at it for days to no avail, although as Zach says I was using the complete wrong approach.

Thanks again to all for your kind help.

• Like 1

Hey all Steam Locomotive fans,

So now the wheels roll with steam?
No powered by GSAP scrollTrigger - your finger!

See the Pen abvXeoV?editors=0010 by mikeK (@mikeK) on CodePen

Sorry, not perfect for the small height of this iframe.

Happy scrolling ...

Mikel

• Like 3