Search Community

RoughEase with only positive increments

Matt Severin test
Moderator Tag

Hey Matthew,

Technically the curve in the image that you linked to has four  "negative" values, not two. The other two are just more subtle. It's very hard to have a rough ease with 0 "negative" values because if you start out with a line who's slope is greater than 1 then you need to compensate for it going forward. The only case where a rough ease could only have "positive" points is if it looked something like an easeIn curve but with each segment happening to randomly all be slightly increasing in their slope (but not too much to where the average is greater than 1). Does that make sense? 

With that being said, you could try blending a rough ease with another ease (like an easeIn) to try and get a curve that's more like this. For example, I used the code:

var line1 = "power2.in", 
    line2 = RoughEase.ease.config({ template:  Power1.easeIn, strength: 1.5, points: 10, taper: "both", randomize:  true, clamp: true}),

in our BlendEase helper pen (one of our many helper functions)

See the Pen JjPyWwx by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

to generate a CustomEase of CustomEase.create("custom", "M0,0,C0,0,0.117,-0.001,0.19,0.007,0.242,0.012,0.276,0.017,0.325,0.036,0.365,0.053,0.391,0.072,0.43,0.103,0.479,0.143,0.518,0.164,0.555,0.222,0.725,0.49,1,1,1,1") but it ends up looking a lot like an easeIn curve (obviously).

• Like 1

Hey Jack so I was working on an animation where there is condensation on a can and drips would slowly be moving downwards because if gravity. Typically that kind of motion is erratic but always in one direction,  (in this case, down), never back tracking. I was looking for a shortcut to this.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Matthew Severin said:

I was working on an animation where there is condensation on a can and drips would slowly be moving downwards because if gravity. Typically that kind of motion is erratic but always in one direction,  (in this case, down), never back tracking.

Interesting use case. To do it accurately you'd have to account for velocity, other water droplets, and things like that. But if you're just using ease you could make something similar to a stepped ease but with less regular intervals (using CustomEase).