Search Community

Fadein image just wacks on?

NubieHere test
Moderator Tag

No, I cannot provide a codepen, as the code is overly complex. But basically I have the issue of when using gsap to fade in an initially opacity 0 element with a background-image set the image just wacks on somewhere randomly in the transition. BUT when I use css transition: all 1s ease-in ... it works fine.

Now, does anyone have ANY experience with (some buggy browser catch) using fade in and fade out of elements with background-image set while the image is faded out (opacity: 0) and then fading in?

Basically what I do is: fade OUT an element with a background-image set, then CHANGE the background-image while opacity is 0, and then FADE IN the element.

Now while the element itself seems to fade in just fine, the (background-)image seems to ignore the opacity-level (randomly) and just immediately pops in ...

This seems to be a fairly straight forward (yeah, right) task to create, but weird random stuff is happening.

And why can't I by the way use gsap 3.0 in codepen!? gsap is undefined ...

2 hours ago, NubieHere said:

Basically what I do is: fade OUT an element with a background-image set, then CHANGE the background-image while opacity is 0, and then FADE IN the element.

Is the new image pre-loaded? My guess is that you're not giving it adequate time to load so it "glitches" when it appears once it's done loading. Completely unrelated to GSAP.

2 hours ago, NubieHere said:

why can't I by the way use gsap 3.0 in codepen!? gsap is undefined ...

That's got to be user error ;) Fork the GSAP 3 starter pen in this thread to get you started:

Yeah, you were right. It turned out to be: new createjs.LoadQueue( false ) missing the 'false' ... Even though I did try both true and false, and even the default (none).

And when I type 'gsap' into the javascript resource in codepen ... i get this (see image) ... and that's not gsap 3.0 if I'm not mistaken?

Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 15.38.23.png

38 minutes ago, NubieHere said:

that's not gsap 3.0 if I'm not mistaken

Correct, CDNJS took a while to update their versions and CodePen has to now update the version that they're hosting using from CDNJS. Maybe we can ask them to manually force the update - it's possible that it wouldn't do it automatically even if they have an automatic process because of the version number change, I'm not sure. We'll ask them about it.