Search Community

Noobie asking help – wrap texture around sphere & rotate it at axis

nenad.s test
Moderator Tag

Hi guys, I've been a long-time enthusiast for GSAP, although just a designer and only now gathering coding skills – much praise for the library and everyone involved.

What I'm trying to do is create an Earth globe rotating slowly

For a close example, see "Cloud with Google" (skip the intro), except all I want is the globe, no fancy gadgets and on-click events/interaction

Any help or pointers in the right direction will be appreciated, and don't avoid unpleasant questions, I'll be responding to everything as fast as I can

Trying to do this with Three.js & TweenMax, though I'm open for other solutions as well – doing this for both practice and learning, tired of having other people develop for me and mess up the small stuff, time to amp my skills up. I'll be adding the codepen when I get anywhere, still at blank page

Cheers to all, hope everyone's warm and cozy :D

Hey nenad and welcome to the GreenSock forums. We're glad you like GSAP!

19 hours ago, nenad.s said:

Trying to do this with Three.js & TweenMax

That's a good approach. We recommend using the new and improved GSAP 3, not TweenMax though. You can search things like "three.js globe with paths" to find existing projects and tutorials to help you. GSAP can help power the animations 'course. 

Let us know if you run into any snags, especially with GSAP. Happy tweening!