Search Community

Next.js and GSAP 3

KevinJ test
Moderator Tag

Hi All,

I'm about to pull the trigger on joining Club Greensock.

While I understand support isn't offered for non-greensock products, I've struggled with figuring out how to get gsap to work in my next.js project I'm working on.

With that said, can someone point me in the direction of getting gsap working for with Next.js please.

KJ

• Like 1

Hey Kevin! 

38 minutes ago, KevinJ said:

I'm about to pull the trigger on joining Club Greensock.

That's great! We hope you do ;) We can't do the work that we do without Club GreenSock members.

38 minutes ago, KevinJ said:

I've struggled with figuring out how to get gsap to work in my next.js project I'm working on.

With that said, can someone point me in the direction of getting gsap working for with Next.js please.

We'd be happy to. In fact we're working on tool that will hopefully be released in the next week that will make importing GSAP and its parts into your project even easier. Right now the "Installation" page will have to suffice.

I haven't used Next.js, but it seems to use the standard way of importing modules. You should be able to install GSAP (without club member plugins) by doing the standard npm install gsap. Then you should be able to include the core of GSAP by including import { gsap } from "gsap"; at the top of your script that uses GSAP. Otherwise try importing the UMD files instead: import { gsap } from "gsap/dist/gsap";

Let us know if that doesn't work for you.

• Like 2

Thanks for the response @ZachSaucier and @OSUblake. Here is what I'm getting:

Here is what I did:

Installed gsap via npm

Installed next-transpile-modules

Created a animation.js file that has this code:

import { gsap } from "gsap";

gsap.from (".studio" > "h2.section-title", {y:500, opacity:0, duration:1});

In the file I'm trying to animate elements, I imported the above animation.js file:

import '../scripts/animations.js';

The page loads without error but in terminal I get this:

GSAP target false not found. https://greensock.com
Invalid y tween of 500 Missing plugin? gsap.registerPlugin()
Invalid opacity tween of 0 Missing plugin? gsap.registerPlugin()

KJ

Can you make a simple repo that shows the problem so we can take a look?

8 minutes ago, KevinJ said:

to my pakage.json file as you suggested.

For next.js, and you would add to it your next.config.js file. I haven't tried, but based on the plugin readme, it might be like this.

// next.config.js
const withTM = require('next-transpile-modules');

module.exports = withTM({
  transpileModules: ['gsap']
});

• Like 3

@OSUblake I spent the morning tinkering and broke all kinds of stuff.

const withSass = require("@zeit/next-sass");
const withCSS = require("@zeit/next-css");
const withTM = require('next-transpile-modules');

module.exports = withTM({
transpileModules: ['gsap']
});

module.exports = withCSS(
withSass({
webpack(config, options) {
config.module.rules.push({
test: /\.(png|jpg|gif|svg|eot|ttf|woff|woff2)$/,
use: {
loader: "url-loader",
options: {
limit: 100000
}
}
});

return config;
}
})
);

Everything is back to what it was.

Added this and removed the addition to the package.json file but still getting the previous error.

I'll look at getting a repo setup.

KJ

2 hours ago, KevinJ said:

I'll look at getting a repo setup.

Try to do that. It's really hard to troubleshoot problems with frameworks without actually seeing how everything is set up.

All I can tell right now is that the error cannot read property querySelectorAll of undefined means the script isn't running inside a browser. So that error is probably happening when next.js is doing server side rendering.

Thanks.

I recommend using GSAP's SplitText to make splitting up the characters and words much easier. It comes with Shockingly Green or greater Club GreenSock membership :) 

But what you have works if you're not using it.

GSAP 3 also has a .toArray() utility method that you could use instead of using Array.from()

It's generally more convenient/better to use GSAP's .set() method instead of using .style.property =. For example,

// this
words[currentWordIndex].style.opacity = "1";
// would be 
gsap.set(words[currentWordIndex], {opacity: 1});

setTimeout is not the best to use. It's better to use GSAP's .delayedCall method.

I wouldn't use a setInterval interval for similar reasons - I'd recommend using GSAP's timelines (as a bonus doing so gives you even more control over your animations should you need to change it!). That would also allow you to use GSAP's repeat property and simplify your logic of changing the text.

It's generally a good idea to avoid CSS transitions when working with GSAP as it's easy for them to conflict. I'd recommend using GSAP's tweens instead of transitions. It's an old article but this one details more about why:

How you do so depends on the exact animation, but for this sort of thing it'd generally be good to use a .from() to move the letter in and a .to() to move it out (both using GSAP's staggers). 

That should give you plenty to change should you choose to :) 

• Like 1