Search Community

How can I use GSAP 3 with scroll magic?

Page Tailoring test
Moderator Tag

Hello ^_^
When i import scrollMagic files via npm , it gives me error and says: "Uncaught ReferenceError: TweenMax is not defined" , in Gsap2 I was importing TweenMax by hand and it helped,  but in Gsap3 i don't know how to do it, can you help me? 

Thank you

• Like 2

Hi, all :) 

I resigned from "animations.gsap" ScrollMagic plugin and handle this like that:

import { gsap } from "gsap";
import ScrollMagic from 'ScrollMagic';

const controller = new ScrollMagic.Controller();

const easeInOut = 'circ.easeInOut';
const time = .5;

const menuAnim = gsap.timeline({defaults:{ease: easeInOut, duration: time}})
	.to('nav', {y: '-100%'})
	.to('#logo', {opacity: 1}, "-=0.4")
	.to('.main-nav', {opacity: 1}, "-=0.4")
	;
menuAnim.pause();	          

new ScrollMagic.Scene({
    triggerElement: '#home',
    duration:0,
    triggerHook: .85
    })
    .on("enter", function (e) {
        menuAnim.play();
    })
    .on("leave", function (e) {
        menuAnim.reverse();
    })
    .addTo(controller);

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I know this is a ScrollMagic issue but just adding that loading via require.js (magento2 flavour) doesn't work either. 

"Uncaught Error: Script error for: TweenMax http://requirejs.org/docs/errors.html#scripterror"

Saw this https://github.com/jonkwheeler/ScrollScene, but cannot successfully load it via npm in Magneto 2.

Anyway, until ScrollMagic fix it I'll just use the method above or maybe just start using IntersectionObserver to trigger animations  :) 

• 3 weeks later...

scrollmagic-plugin-gsap

Original animation.gsap.js plugin for ScrollMagic is not compatible with ES6 modules, so it's causing a number of problems to add it in ES6 environment. Use this module to simple wrap ScrollMagic with animation.gsap.js in ES6. 

npm install --save scrollmagic-plugin-gsap

import * as ScrollMagic from "scrollmagic"; // Or use scrollmagic-with-ssr to avoid server rendering problems
import gsap from "gsap";  // Also works with TweenLite and TimelineLite: import { TweenMax, TimelineMax } from "gsap";
import { ScrollMagicPluginGsap } from "scrollmagic-plugin-gsap";

ScrollMagicPluginGsap(ScrollMagic, gsap);
 // There you can use setTween() in ScrollMagic Scene with no problems

• Like 4

11 hours ago, carlosavilasi said:

scrollmagic-plugin-gsap

Original animation.gsap.js plugin for ScrollMagic is not compatible with ES6 modules, so it's causing a number of problems to add it in ES6 environment. Use this module to simple wrap ScrollMagic with animation.gsap.js in ES6. 

import * as ScrollMagic from "scrollmagic"; // Or use scrollmagic-with-ssr to avoid server rendering problems
import gsap from "gsap";  // Also works with TweenLite and TimelineLite: import { TweenMax, TimelineMax } from "gsap";

Wow! Finally a solution that works! THANKS.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 2/26/2020 at 12:44 PM, carlosavilasi said:

scrollmagic-plugin-gsap

I'm trying this solution but in console I get these warnings:

ScrollMagic.js:2647 12:54:52:246 (ScrollMagic.Scene) -> (animation.gsap) -> WARNING: tween was overwritten by another. To learn how to avoid this issue see here: https://github.com/janpaepke/ScrollMagic/wiki/WARNING:-tween-was-overwritten-by-another

Invalid property onOverwrite set to undefined Missing plugin? gsap.registerPlugin()

Any ideas?

2 hours ago, mikel said:

Hey @Black Ducas,

... and the pointer: "To learn how to avoid this issue see here: https://github.com/janpaepke/ScrollMagic/wiki/WARNING:-tween-was-overwritten-by-another".

ScrollMagic is not a GreenSock product and we don't really recommend using it.

Happy tweening ...

Mikel

Hi @mikel

I'm reading that but it seems all ok.

Anyway, have you to advice a ScrollMagic alternative to use with GSAP 3? Thanks

Hey @agilepixel and welcome to the GreenSock forums! Thanks for being a Club GreenSock member. We couldn't do what we do without people like you. 

GreenSock is actually working on our own scroll plugin but it hasn't been released yet.

Until we have the scroll plugin, to animate thing on scroll you have to use either the scroll position or the intersection observer API. Here's a basic demo using the scroll position:

See the Pen BaNPoEK by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

And here's an article that talks about using the intersection observer API with GSAP: https://medium.com/elegant-seagulls/parallax-and-scroll-triggered-animations-with-the-intersection-observer-api-and-gsap3-53b58c80b2fa 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, ZachSaucier said:

No, it is still in a private testing phase.

My team is really interested in this as well. Is there an estimated release date for either a beta or final version? Any way to be notified when it's available? (I'm signed up for the newsletter but it seems like only big/major releases are announced there.)

1 minute ago, gmullinix said:

Is there an estimated release date for either a beta or final version?

3-6 weeks for the public version but no promises :) 

1 minute ago, gmullinix said:

Any way to be notified when it's available? (I'm signed up for the newsletter but it seems like only big/major releases are announced there.)

We'll announce it via the newsletter for sure.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, wpsoul said:

I am also waiting new plugin. Currently, I am using Scroll magic because it has one cool feature like Pin option and horizontal scroll. I hope new plugin will also have it. 

It does, but I'm wondering why people do horizontal scrolling. Kind of a pain when you only have a mouse wheel that goes up and down.