Search Community

Stop/pause auto scroll on hover on one div? (ScrollToPlugin)

Tessa test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hello, 

I'm very new to GSAP and am trying to figure out how to pause a tween on the hover of a specific div. The code for the auto scroll was corrected in a previous forum post, but I'm now trying to make this slight adjustment because the aforementioned div is a slider. So when the mouse hovers over this div, the animation needs to pause in order for the user to click through the slides. 

I'm not sure if I need to assign a timeline to my tween, etc. in order to accomplish this? I've tried to implement some examples from the docs, but nothing has worked; just wanting to see if there's a method simpler than determining if the cursor is in its bounds. 

Any help is greatly appreciated! 

See the Pen poowEyq?editors=1111 by jsprac (@jsprac) on CodePen

@ZachSaucier Thank you, this makes sense! 

I added a timeout in an attempt to detect if the user is actually trying to hover (so that it doesn't just stop abruptly every time the mouse happens to pass over the div). Even so, I'm wondering if there's a way to 'ease' the tween.kill() so that it's not as sudden? Or would I need to add to my auto scroll/slow down the animation itself as the cursor approaches the boundaries of the div? 

Thanks again for any insight!

See the Pen PoojEde by jsprac (@jsprac) on CodePen

I would not use a setInterval for that. It will keep running while the element is hovered, quite uselessly. 

Most likely the best thing to do would restrict the areas that move the user around the screen to say, the last 15% of the page on every side. You can do that using some simple calculations. That way users can be in full control and not always moving somewhere.