Search Community

Google-hosted JS libs blocked by Firefox tracking protection?

Gatekeeper74 test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi everyone,

not sure if this is a new issue, but it scared me to death today when i noticed my banners won't work in Firefox all of a sudden.

I'm using the Google-hosted GSAP since most of my banners run inside Googles ad universe.

Now FFs console error message told me that ......https://s0.2mdn.net/.... is blocked.

URLs based on this domain seem to be listed as tracking pages and therefore are blocked by default in FF.

Not funny... Switched to the cdnjs links now which still work in FF

Just wanted to let you guys know quickly so you can check if your latest projects using any google hosted libs are affected as well.

Hope it helps.

Cheers and happy tweening!

• Thanks 3

Hm, do you have some links we could test? A Google engineer said they had no knowledge of this and if it is true, there's no doubt it would rise to the top of their inbox over there at Google. :) I'm hoping maybe it's just a plugin you've got installed on your end or something. Have you reproduced it on other systems? 

Hi there Jack

Right now i am out of office, but let me post a quick update from what i have found out yet:

I am using FF for testing purposes only and left it as default as default can be from what i know.

I talked to our IT and they told me that FF is installed with tracking protection on. Maybe they have pushed those settings to a higher level or so (cannot check the settings right now)

A recherche on the error message lead to this page: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Firefox/Privacy/Tracking_Protection which describes the case pretty well.

Also my client was not able to see the animations on my preview environment as the TweenMax.js hosted by google has been blocked on their end as well.

BUT

It seems the situation is less dramatic than i initially feared:

I am using the google hosted libs in my preview environment already - no problems so far and all clients were able to see the charming animations. Though, with the tracking protection active on a more or less restrictive level that one lib will be blocked now and so the whole framework is not available --> no animations.

LEARNING

Never use the google hosted libs if you're not already hosting the project on their ad servers.

In case you were using the google hosted libs on a non-google-ad-project because its so handy: bad idea.

Sorry for spreading panic - i think the learning is worth being shared anyways.

Oh and Jack: thanks for this awesome superhero framework!!!

• Thanks 1

Chiming in, just because I saw this the other day as well and had the same freakout, but then I realized that it happened when viewing our ads in a private window in Firefox. When viewing in a regular tab, I think it's okay, but it bears a little more research (which I haven't had the time to do yet).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1