Search Community

Preview Itsy Banner Online Banner Compression Tool

Carl test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hey folks,

My buddy built an online tool for minifying and compressing banner ads. He's been working with large-scale banner campaigns for 20 years and is always looking to "solve problems with code". He showed me Itsy Banner yesterday and it pretty much blew me away. It's still in beta but ready for testing.

He asked me if I knew anyone who could give feedback. I told him I know where all the pros hang out ?

I know some of you have talked about gulp tasks you run and similar tools. Very curious to hear your thoughts on this and whether or not you've seen anything better out there.

I made a very informal video highlighting what it does: 

Please take a few zips of your banners and drop them on http://itsybanner.com/ or just press the demo button to see a bunch of pre-made banners.

Some quick notes:

• no special coding is required in your banner!
  • you can optionally set up a config.js file for image compression and a bunch of other stuff
  • got some crazy three.js + gsap banners? Throw them at it. Let's see what it can do.

I don't want this to turn into a big Itsy Banner support thread... just looking for some initial feedback to help him get this thing off the ground. 

Hopefully even in beta this thing can end up saving you some time and make your production easier.

Thanks!

Carl

• Like 4

Didn't work for me. Tried Safari and Chrome, using GSAP-based banners and an Animate CC-based banner. After uploading, I just get a blank screen with the banner title in red. Sometimes "Undefined variable: y_axis" appears, not sure what that is (I searched all of the code in the banner and that's not even in there). I also got "Illegal string ''offset 'images'" on one of the ads I uploaded to test with. Opening the config file that appears just shows curly brackets.

Sounds promising, and love the idea of the single HTML page if it actually does create a smaller file than manually optimizing – although I don't think I'd send a client a purple and pink preview page :)

Kinda like AdPiler > https://adpiler.com/features/

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to report back that Davi and Ohem were both kind enough to supply the banners that revealed some bugs in itsybanner and those bugs have been fixed! I'd encourage folks to give it another shot. Try throwing some banners with uncompressed images at it to see how small they can get. You can save a ton of time by allowing itsybanner to handle the compression. 

• 2 weeks later...

hi @emmanuelulloa sorry to hear you hit a snag. I look forward to seeing some positive reviews here ;)

The great thing about itsybanner is that there are no guidelines or requirements for how your banner needs to be designed and structured.

However, it seems like this community is good at finding some weak spots in itsybanner.

The good news is those errors are flagged and the algorithms are improved to handle whatever you throw at it. 

Your banner should work now. Please give it another shot. If you still have trouble feel free to message me a zip.