Search Community

tl.to is not a function - React functional component animation

ericnguyen23 test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to do a simple animation with a React project using functional component. I'm getting this error:

Uncaught TypeError: tl.to is not a function

My timeline and DOM elements are defined and running my timeline within useEffect( ) so not sure why I'm getting that error.

Any help is appreciated.

See the Pen GRKrexJ by ericnguyen23 (@ericnguyen23) on CodePen

I don't know anything about React, but what you have wired up there is returning an array for the tl variable. A timeline is the first element in the array and then a function. This seems to fix it.

tl[0].to(headingRedf, 1, {
      y: +30,
    }).to(headingRedf, 1, {
      y: 0,
    });

Again, I have no knowledge of React so others will probably jump in with a proper solution.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, PointC said:

I don't know anything about React, but what you have wired up there is returning an array for the tl variable. A timeline is the first element in the array and then a function. This seems to fix it.

tl[0].to(headingRedf, 1, {
    }).to(headingRedf, 1, {
    });

Again, I have no knowledge of React so others will probably jump in with a proper solution.

Thanks, that does render the content but animation doesn't run. I'll play around with it some more.

If you check the console you'll see that headingRedf is not the <h1>, but rather an object. This will make it move.

tl[0].to(headingRedf.current, 1, {
    }).to(headingRedf.current, 1, {
    });

You're also getting a console error about exports not being defined. That's all I can offer with my lack of React knowledge. Happy tweening.

:)

• Like 4

3 hours ago, PointC said:

If you check the console you'll see that headingRedf is not the <h1>, but rather an object. This will make it move.

tl[0].to(headingRedf.current, 1, {
    }).to(headingRedf.current, 1, {
    });

You're also getting a console error about exports not being defined. That's all I can offer with my lack of React knowledge. Happy tweening.

:)

You may not know React, but you are pretty solid with JS! ?

Everything makes total sense now! 

• Like 3