Search Community

find the ending location of a dragged object

Xristi test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi,

I need to get the current position of a dragged object on the completion of its tweening to another location. Here is my code:

Draggable.create("#firstNamedQuanDragImage1", {type:"x,y", bounds:"#nQL_DragDropGrid1", edgeResistance:0.5, cursor: "pointer",
  onDragEnd: function(e) {

if (this.hitTest(dropAreasArray[0], overlapThreshold)) {
      TweenMax.to(this.target, 0.5, {x:ecksPos, y:wyePos, onComplete:resetPermissionsArray_Target});
      //disAbleTiles2("2nd");
      studentAnswer = "EXPRESSION";
      removeCheckAnsButton1(false);
      function resetPermissionsArray_Target() {
        var firstTileLocus_X = $("#firstNamedQuanDragImage1").offset();
        var firstTileLeft = firstTileLocus_X.left;
        alert("location of first tile is: " + firstTileLeft);
      }

With this code I get the object location just fine but the tween ends and the object does not continue to its desired x/y position

If I remove the the onComplete and its function the tweening completes just fine but, obviously, no position info on the object.

Thank you for your invaluable assistance - I'm getting there! 

You'd use this.x in the callback. this inside of Draggable callbacks returns the Drabble object itself unless you specifically set the scope using one of the on____Scrope (like onDragScrope) functions.

Modifying your code from above, you could get the values like so:

Draggable.create("#firstNamedQuanDragImage1", {type:"x,y", bounds:"#nQL_DragDropGrid1", edgeResistance:0.5, cursor: "pointer",
  onDragEnd: function(e) {
	console.log("x: " + this.x + ", y: " + this.y);
  }
});

• Like 2

Yes. I get the x/y coordinates but the the tween doesn't complete. When I put your "this.x..." in the onComplete function x/y comes back undefined. Why would the tween not complete? Some other part of my code must be wrong...

Hello Zach,

I was able to arrive at a solution. Between your comments and OSUBlake's and Diaco's codepens for multiple drag objects and multiple targets I was able to piece together some code that worked. Thank you all for your time in helping all of us grateful GSAP users.

• Like 2