Search Community

Scaling table causes gap in tds

Roddy test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Thanks for the demo!

This boils down to a miscalculation in Chrome. In Firefox is looks great, as it does at a scale of 0.5 in Chrome (for me at least). 

The trick is to work around this bug is to set the perspective to something slightly different (like 999px compared to the default of 1000px). You should be able to do that in GSAP using the transformPerspective property, but the below doesn't seem to work in this case (but setting the transform manually to transform: perspective(999px) scale(0.786); works just fine).

resizeTimeline.to('#ani-holder', 0, {transformPerspective: "999px", scale: 0.786, transformOrigin: "50% 50%"});

Setting perspective: 999px; on the parent doesn't seem to fix it either. Chrome be weird.

I've asked Jack to look into it. So far he said "Hm, never seen that before" :D 

• Like 2

I understand that it doesn't currently work in the latest version of GSAP. I said it should work :) For some reason when GSAP converts the transforms to what should be an equivalent matrix, it doesn't fix the issue in Chrome. Maybe @GreenSock can give us more info on that.

The good news is that in the next version of GSAP, matrices are no longer created for transforms, so the above code would fix the bug. 

In your project it might be best to use an onComplete for the .to() in order to set the transform to the working one in my last post. 

See the Pen VwZajqQ?editors=0010 by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

Alternatively, you could animate this one piece in non-GSAP code for now (at least until the next version of GSAP comes out). 

• Like 1

I think I found something that works. 

var resizeTimeline = new TimelineMax();
    resizeTimeline.to($ani_holder, 0, { perspective: 999, x: x_pos, y: y_pos}).addCallback(startAni, 0);

The above "perspective: 999" for some reason fixes the actual animation below. Then I use your OnComplete suggestion in order to fix the final rendering. (it renders those gaps when it finishes if I don't) 

No idea why this works, but it seems to do the trick.

tl.to($feathers, 6, {rotation: '180'}, 'start')
        .to($background_cover, 8, {left: '300%'}, 'start')
        .to($frame_border, 3, {scale: 1}, 'start+=1')
        .to($frame_border, 3, {alpha: 1}, 'start+=1')
        .to($frame_background, 3, {perspective: 999, scale: 1}, 'start+=2')
        .to($frame_background, 3, {alpha: 1, onComplete: function() {
                document.querySelector(".frame-background").style.transform = "perspective(999px) scale(0.999)";
            }}, 'start+=2').addCallback(fixBackground, 0)
        .to($h1, 3, {scale: 1}, 'start+=2')
        .to($h1, 5, {alpha: 1}, 'start+=2')

The object "$ani_holder" holds my entire animation. I scale this using window resize (as to be responsive).
Then the $frame_background is the table that I scale from 0, and had the issue with.

• Like 1

I know it's solved, but just to chime in - if your goal is to add a perspective(999px) to the transform while it's animating, you could try doing an onUpdate:

tl.tl(element, 2, {scale:0.7, onUpdate:function() {
  		element.style.transform += " perspective(999px)";
	}
});

Just a thought. It could be made even easier with a helper function that'd automate some of that. 

Anyway, happy tweening!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hah. I probably shouldn't have used the word "trolled". A bit tongue in cheek.

To be clear, we were talking about one issue, and then I am sure OSu was only trying to be helpful -- but all he had to say was "Did you think about using CSS Grid instead of tables." I guess it was the way he posed the question - "Why are you even using a table?" that seemed a  bit off-putting. It also seemed a bit off topic (especially after we had solved the issue). I was much more interested in the reason those lines would even show up. Why I've decided to use a table is besides the point. This table is only one element among many and there was a reason I did it this way.

No offense to OSUblake. 

Now that I think more about it --

History, skill set, and experience aside - Shaun's correct that I should not have called OSU a troll. I had a very stressful day yesterday, and was a bit sensitive. Not an excuse and I apologize for my quick retort.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Roddy said:

I guess it was the way he posed the question - "Why are you even using a table?" that seemed a  bit off-putting. It also seemed a bit off topic (especially after we had solved the issue). 

Sorry if it came off that way. I brought up CSS grid because animating tables can be very problematic. Tables were not designed with animations in mind, which is why you still have to use attributes to get some table elements to display correctly. 

And there is usually more than one way to solve a problem. Using CSS grid was part 1 of my recommendation. You called me a troll before I got to part 2 below.

1 hour ago, Roddy said:

I was much more interested in the reason those lines would even show up.

The gaps are caused because of rounding. An 81px wide element at a scale of 0.786 is 63.666000000000004 pixels. Not exactly a whole number, so you might see artifacts bleeding through. To get rid of those gaps, you can use will-change: transform; in your css. The browser can rasterize (take a snapshot) of the layout before scaling gets involved. 

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/will-change

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

You can also get rid of that gap line by adding z: 0.01 on your tween with the transform perspective function.

Its like using will-change: transform or having transform: translateZ(0) in your CSS.

Its the same like we used to do back in the day with crappy IE, by adding zoom: 1.

Perspective fixes that Chrome bug, which is really not a bug, but Chrome requires that CSS 3D Transform helper property perspective and the transform perspective function so it can render correctly. Same goes for other helper properties... transform-style and backface-visibility.

That just my two "non trolling" cents.. or is it ?  :)

• Like 5