Search Community

Multiple elements Timeline

Daniel Hult test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi!

Im building a site with Vue/Nuxt and in one of the components I have an expand effect that reveal some person info below a photo of a person. The persons are inside a loop, so it will output like 4-5 persons on the page.

At the moment the timeline I have setup with GSAP works - but it affect ALL the persons at once (it reveal each persons content when the timeline is activated). I want it to only show the current persons info.

Just wondering how I play/reverse the same timeline on multiple elements?

Attaching some pictures of the Vue loop and the timeline with GSAP.

Thank you :D 

Screenshot 2019-07-30 at 20.29.47.png

Screenshot 2019-07-30 at 20.32.46.png

Hey Daniel,

If you pass a general selector into a GSAP call GSAP will animate everything that you pass into it. You just need to pass in a selector for the specific one you want to affect in the timeline. 

How you do so depends on your setup. Likely a good way would be to use the element reference of the event to only animate things related to that element. If you'd like more clear instructions, I think it'd be good to create a minimal demo of your issue in a CodePen. See the below post for more information on how to do that.

P.S. You don't need to pass in a nodelist (what querySelectorAll gives you) - you can just pass in a string and GSAP will call querySelectorAll on that string if you want to.

Thanks so much for the demo! It shows your setup very well.

I'd do something like this:

See the Pen rXmxqY?editors=0010 by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

The same approach can be used if you need to use a timeline (such as needing to pause/revert the animation or something like that): 

See the Pen EqmPGL?editors=0010 by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZachSaucier said:

You don't need to pass in a nodelist (what querySelectorAll gives you) - you can just pass in a string and GSAP will call querySelectorAll on that string if you want to.

I would highly recommend not doing that for any framework (Vue, React, Angular, etc). querySelector/querySelectorAll can be very problematic with components. Using $refs is the correct approach for selecting elements in Vue. 

38 minutes ago, GreenSock said:

I wonder if you just need to add type="module" on your <script> tag(?) Typically script tags are NOT treated as modules (thus can't understand imports) in browsers. 

No, that's a Vue file, and it is not an actual script tag.

That's all the support I can offer as I'm on mobile right now.

• Like 2