Search Community

Defining Tweens for Intersection Observer

danboyle8637 test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

My question is more of a best practice question.

I'm in a react app and right now, I'm defining all of my tweens as separate functions and importing them when needed. 

Is there any reason why "you" should not define Tweens in a separate file?

I'm doing this because I plan on passing them to a Intersection Observer as the callback.

@ZachSaucier no nothing ill has happened yet. My only worry at this point is making sure I kill my tweens and timelines appropriately. 

For example... in a component, I might call a tween like this:

const Component = () => {
  const nodeRef = useRef(null)

useEffect(() => {
  	// imported up above of course...
    compassIconAni(nodeRef.current)

return () => {
    	// import TweenMax above
      	// Does this kill the tween even through the actual Tween
      	// is located in another file?
      	TweenMax.killTweensOf(nodeRef.current)
    }
  }, [nodeRef.current])

return // Stuff
}

I'm not sure if that call to killTweensOf() actually kills the tween. 

Is there a way to figure out for sure if a tween is "dead"?

I didn't see anything in the docs.

Honestly I haven't played with the intersection observer API at all. By doing some quick reading on the subject I don't see any issue as long as you're careful about passing an actual DOM node to the function that creates the GSAP instance. IMHO I don't see any big issue on keeping the code that creates the GSAP instances inside the components unless is exactly the same code for a bunch of different components, and I mean that in the DRY-way (Don't Repeat Yourself), ie, if you don't want to write the same code over and over again.

Regarding the kill feature, this is not like a biological kill in terms that the GSAP instance ceases to exist, basically the instance is stopped and you can be sure that is not moving in any direction and that anything related to it will be executed until is explicitly set in that way. If you want to completely remove the instance you can reset it's reference in memory with null. The only check I can think of is the isActive() method, that should return false if the GSAP instance was killed. Finally the GSAP instance should be killed even though is instantiated in a different file because the DOM node will have a reference to the instance's position in memory, this does not depends of the context where the animation is actually created, which is exclusive of the code block where it happens. Also keep in mind that this will eventually happen in the same file but in a specific closure of the bundled file between lines X and Y.

Happy Tweening!!

• Like 2