GreenSock

Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ericnguyen23

Call a Greensock Timeline with JavaScript?

I'm working on a "mega menu" type dropdown menu and currently just using CSS transition, triggered by JS mouseenter event. I eventually want to make it drop down. Is it possible to create the drop-down animation via Greensock as a timeline, then calling that timeline on mouseenter? 

See the Pen rXBgNR by ericnguyen23 (@ericnguyen23) on CodePen

Hey Eric.

This is definitely possible! The setup depends on how you want it to animate. They key concept is that instead of adding a class, you'd use a tween to affect some properties of the drop down menu. Then when the menu/navigation has stopped being hovered, you tween it back to being hidden.

Is there a specific part of this process that you're having trouble with?

4 minutes ago, ZachSaucier said:

Hey Eric.

This is definitely possible! The setup depends on how you want it to animate. They key concept is that instead of adding a class, you'd use a tween to affect some properties of the drop down menu. Then when the menu/navigation has stopped being hovered, you tween it back to being hidden.

Is there a specific part of this process that you're having trouble with?

Not yet, for now at least. 

I just wanted to verify this is possible. I'll go play with it now and if I have questions I'll come back.

I'm back! 

I've edited/updated my codepen since I'm developing a React menu: 

So far, I've got the timeline to run (onLoad). Now how do I call it on mouseover and mouseleave? I've setup the mouseenter and mouseleave event handlers, but not sure how I'd go about calling the timeline. 

Unfortunately I know nothing about react so I haven't even tried to work out what you intend with the useEffect function but this is a basic implementation of using paused:true on timeline and play and reverse in event handlers. Hopefully it will get you moving in the right direction.

See the Pen QeLXVj?editors=1010 by Visual-Q (@Visual-Q) on CodePen

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Visual-Q said:

Unfortunately I know nothing about react so I haven't even tried to work out what you intend with the useEffect function but this is a basic implementation of using paused:true on timeline and play and reverse in event handlers. Hopefully it will get you moving in the right direction.

I'm a noob in React myself, actually a relative noob in modern web dev, but seems like I have to use `useEffect` for animations to work with a functional component. 

This is what I was looking for, thanks! 

This is totally a side topic and not related to GSAP, but I'll throw it out there: How can I get my subnav to be positioned behind my main nav? 

Take away the z-index of .nav. 

If you give it a z-index it will create its own stacking context, which prevents children from being placed behind it. See this post for more info.

Happy tweening!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ZachSaucier said:

Take away the z-index of .nav. 

If you give it a z-index it will create its own stacking context, which prevents children from being placed behind it. See this post for more info.

Happy tweening!

Thanks Zach - although that works, it takes away the hovering functionality with subnav (because of the element below it). I'll look into more, hopefully I don't have to tear up my code too much! 

You can just apply the hover effects to the sub nav itself in addition to the main nav.

• Like 1

I ended up taking all z-indexes out of play, even on subnav ( since a negative z-index limited me to a lot of functionality on that element) and positioned it absolute and animating visibility and height which achieved the effect I was looking for. 

GSAP is amazing!

See the Pen rXBgNR?editors=0110 by ericnguyen23 (@ericnguyen23) on CodePen

• Like 2