Search Community

Exported video (MP4) via Adobe Animate 2019 differs from original SWF

RichJ test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi

So I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to using Greensock and I also have an animation that was created by someone else. :-/

The animation uses GSAP to produce a bit of a lengthy animation that needs to be exported as an MP4 file. The animation is divided up into indivdual steps by adding labels for each one e.g.: 

TimelineMax.add("step1"); 

TimelineMax.add("endStep1"); 

I have the original FLA file, so that I can change the current step to be played via a variable called 'step', which I can export as a SWF file and all plays fine - the animation starts and finshes at the desired step, objects turn on and off, tween etc. However when I try to export as an MP4 file the animation doesn't play correctly and appears to start mid-way through an earlier step. :-/ 

I'm exporting as follows:

• File > Export > Export Video
  • Checking 'Convert video in Adobe Media Encoder'
  • Setting 'Stop exporting' to 'After time elapsed' and entering plenty of seconds
  • Export as a MOV and open in AME to output as MP4

So far I've tried everything from inserting enough frames in the timeline to actually taking the working SWF and using something like HD Video Convertor Factory but with very poor results. I just don't understand why it plays fine as a SWF file but completely different when exported as MP4? 

Anyone else had a similar issue? Unfortunately I can't supply a codepen because I have to adhere to data export restrictions.

Many thanks

Rich

Hi Rich. This sounds more like a Flash/Animate CC question than a GSAP question. I'm not very familiar with how that software exports videos these days but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't really honor script-based updates. I'm sure there are tools out there that can take a SWF and convert it to video, but I'm not familiar with them, sorry. Maybe someone else around here knows. 

If you have any GSAP-specific questions, we'd be happy to help. 

• Like 2

Hi Jack. Thanks for your reply. I'll definitely try a few other SWF convertors to see if they're any better than the one I tried. Might be that I'll have to separate the FLA file into individual files that only include the relevant section of animation; that way I avoid trying to begin the animation at a particular point in the timeline which seems to be the issue. 

Thanks

• 4 months later...