Search Community

Width Calc

Jaexplorer test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi, first time posting. Sorry if this seems informal. 
I've just noticed when I use calc within my greensock function, the duration of my tween becomes 0 and snaps to the result straight away, instead of animating.
I'm trying to animate the container to stretch to the edges, eg. width: calc(100% + 4rem), doesn't work. I don't know a work around this? Help pls

Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 12.23.29 am.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 12.23.47 am.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 12.25.14 am.png

17 minutes ago, PointC said:

JavaScript has numerous ways to measure widths and heights so I'd recommend using one of those. Check out this post by Jack about supporting calc().

Happy tweening.

I read this post, I didn't find it useful.

Jack mentioned: 

Yeah, we don't officially support calc() because that's rather tricky and not exactly reliable.

As far as I know I don't think that has changed since that post so I recommend you use JavaScript to get your dimensions and feed those into your tweens. Maybe this will help.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/CSS_Object_Model/Determining_the_dimensions_of_elements

• Like 2

Sorry I don't know what I was supposed to look at in your link so I'll guess based on your description.

If you want to have the inner container start at parents padding then extend to full viewport you could also animate parents padding to 0. Then the inner container would fill the viewport at 100%.

If you make a codepen it will be much easier to help you.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Visual-Q said:

Sorry I don't know what I was supposed to look at in your link so I'll guess based on your description.

If you want to have the inner container start at parents padding then extend to full viewport you could also animate parents padding to 0. Then the inner container would fill the viewport at 100%.

If you make a codepen it will be much easier to help you.

I found this worked. But i'm rather disappointed I had to resort to this answer. Especially with css grid and dynamic elements. I thought calc would of been covered in greensock.

2 minutes ago, Jaexplorer said:

I found this worked. But i'm rather disappointed I had to resort to this answer. Especially with css grid and dynamic elements. I thought calc would of been covered in greensock.

My demo literally shows you how to use calc.

GSAP cannot animate calc like you want because the browsers reports the width in pixels.

• Like 5

Calc is not just a simple property it's an equation that is passed in to css for parsing. There are many rules governing how it works and it can be written in a number of ways with much more complicated equations than just this + that , that I think would make it very difficult to implement directly in gsap.

• Like 4

Hello @Jaexplorer and welcome to the GreenSock forum!

1 hour ago, Jaexplorer said:

The CSS calc() function is not even a CSS property that you animate, it is a computed equation value that gets parsed by the CSS parser in the browser like @Visual-Q advised above.

So technically calc() is not a property that is animatable,  since it is a function that is used as a value. And like @OSUblake advised the browser just reports the calculated value when requested by GSAP or any other JS property that accepts a <calc>, <length>, <frequency>, <angle>, <time>, <percentage>, <number>, or <integer>.

Please see the CSS calc() spec:

https://drafts.csswg.org/css-values-3/#calc-computed-value

https://drafts.csswg.org/css-values-3/#calc-notation

https://drafts.csswg.org/css-values-3/#calc-syntax

https://drafts.csswg.org/css-values-3/#calc-type-checking

Happy Tweening :)

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Jaexplorer said:

If you REEAAALLY want gsap to write a calc that animates... I probably would never actually do this, but it was fun to figure out...

var tween = TweenMax.to('.img-wrapper', 1, {
  width: 1,
  modifiers: {
    width: function() {
      return ('calc(' + (tween.progress() * 100) + '% + ' + tween.progress() * 4 + 'rem)')
    }
  },
 ease:Linear.easeNone
})

*Updated with Jack's suggestion

TweenMax.to('.img-wrapper', 3, {
  width: 1,
  modifiers: {
    width: function() {
      // this.ratio respects ease
      return 'calc(' + (this.ratio * 100) + '% + ' + (this.ratio * 4) + 'rem)';
    }
  },
 ease:Expo.easeInOut
});

See the Pen LKRLvO?editors=1010 by Visual-Q (@Visual-Q) on CodePen

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Visual-Q said:

Cool, I didn't think about easing.

I couldn't get yours to work. Heres the pen I made. The blue is supposed to stretch to all edges (though in this example, i'm just focusing on the width).

See the Pen wLzmPY by jaexplorer (@jaexplorer) on CodePen

That being said, i've been able to get it to work by editing the parent padding (see attached)

sample.gif

43 minutes ago, Jaexplorer said:

I couldn't get yours to work. Heres the pen I made. The blue is supposed to stretch to all edges (though in this example, i'm just focusing on the width).

Looks like you didn't load the ModifiersPlugin.

https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/gsap/2.1.3/plugins/ModifiersPlugin.min.js

See the Pen cd4870da8a3e1e93ed1734946d7ec49e by osublake (@osublake) on CodePen

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Visual-Q said:

@OSUblake

Have you been using css variables in production sites, are there any reiiable polyfills for IE11. I'd like to try them but it's got to work everywhere otherwise it's a no go.

I don't think there are any good polyfills for CSS vars.

Can you objectively justify supporting IE11 i.e. do you have any data to back up why you need to support IE11?

When developing/engineering stuff, there are certain tradeoffs that you must make.  You're missing out on a lot of great features  by purposely supporting IE11.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OSUblake said:

I don't think there are any good polyfills for CSS vars.

Can you objectively justify supporting IE11 i.e. do you have any data to back up why you need to support IE11?

When developing/engineering stuff, there are certain tradeoffs that you must make.  You're missing out on a lot of great features  by purposely supporting IE11.

I agree, the sooner we stop supporting IE. The better the world will be. There no reason to continue supporting IE, it has security issues and all sorts of issues.

9 minutes ago, OSUblake said:

I have no idea myself how many people use it but the us gov site which should be pretty objective https://analytics.usa.gov/ reports about 7.4% usage almost 2x what edge gets. That's still far too common for me to abandon support unfortunately. Cut that in half and maybe I can think about dropping it. Clients drive the bus.

For now I'll just have to wait.?

12 hours ago, Jaexplorer said:

I agree, the sooner we stop supporting IE. The better the world will be. There no reason to continue supporting IE, it has security issues and all sorts of issues.

Been hearing that since IE5. Unfortunately clients write the cheques and consumers decide what browser to use. I have to satisfy them.