Search Community

Border and Background in ad preview

srouse13 test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

I had a couples questions regarding border and background on html ads. I have a border on the entire body of my ad that has a 3px width and I also do not have a background color set, so it's technically transparent. The right and bottom sides of my border appear to be getting cut off in the preview of Adwords. When I uploaded to another ad server that has a light grey background in their ad preview, my ad background was that light grey instead of white.

Is good practice to only set a border of 1px or less? Does anything above 1px border width get cut off when actually set live? Also, are ads typically served over a white background, is the transparent background something I should be concerned about?

Thanks for any insight anyone has!

adwords-border-cutoff.jpg

transparent-bg.jpg

Just use box-sizing: border-box; to keep the borders within the boundaries of the main ad container.

Regarding your second question, ads can be served with transparent backgrounds, so it's always good to have a background color or image, even if you want the background to be plain white.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the confirmation on the transparent background, that makes sense and I'll be sure to set a background color going forward. 

Also, using border-box makes a ton of sense, can't believe I missed that. I ended up using a div within my body and accounting for my border width when creating the size, which also worked. In the future, I'll just be sure to get my resets like border-box in order before I get going on my ad.

Thanks!