Search Community

Targeting svg layers

Jonny test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

I am working on a project where i want a timelinelite to change opacity of svg layers.

I've made a codepen above where i am using divs to replace the svg temporarily.

when i copy this working code into my project and target the svg <g> instead of the divs here, nothing happens.

Question: - My copying might have been buggy, but I am concerned timelinelite won't work with svgs, is this right?

See the Pen rgQPVm?editors=0010 by JonnyPS (@JonnyPS) on CodePen

It's tough to troubleshoot since you have a working demo with divs, but it could certainly be an ID problem. Could you provide a non-working demo with the SVG?

Also keep in mind that you can animate SVG properties at the group level and individual child element level. This can sometimes produce unintended results. Say a group has an opacity setting of 0.5 and one of the child elements also has an individual setting of opacity:0.5. That would actually be an opacity of 0.25 for that child. If you then animate the group to an opacity of 1, the individual element set to 0.5 would not animate to full opacity. 

But, as I mentioned, a non-working demo with the SVG would help us troubleshoot for you. 

Happy tweening. 

• Like 3

Hi everyone, thanks so much for the responses.

I have now implemented exactly what i want in a codepen and it's still not working.

I have linked the codepen here, and on line 36 have included a jquery animate method which animates the svg exactly as i would like it to, but as soon as i comment it out and uncomment the greensock timeline on line 44 it doesn't work, but i know it should because the jquery version works.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, the problem seems to be that greensock is not able to target the svg layer in this instance and i don't know why.

See the Pen zQXWVa?editors=1010 by JonnyPS (@JonnyPS) on CodePen

14 hours ago, PointC said:

It's tough to troubleshoot since you have a working demo with divs, but it could certainly be an ID problem. Could you provide a non-working demo with the SVG?

Also keep in mind that you can animate SVG properties at the group level and individual child element level. This can sometimes produce unintended results. Say a group has an opacity setting of 0.5 and one of the child elements also has an individual setting of opacity:0.5. That would actually be an opacity of 0.25 for that child. If you then animate the group to an opacity of 1, the individual element set to 0.5 would not animate to full opacity. 

But, as I mentioned, a non-working demo with the SVG would help us troubleshoot for you. 

Happy tweening. 

Hi PointC, valid point, but i have checked and that is not what is happening. I have included a working demo of the final thing that I want in the codepen below.

It would appear jquery can target the element fine, but greensock doesn't?

Hi Blake,

I literally just swapped it out for TweenMax and indeed it is now working.

What threw me off was that there weren't even any errors displaying the console when trying this with TweenLite..... 

20 minutes ago, Jonny said:

What threw me off was that there weren't even any errors displaying the console when trying this with TweenLite..... 

It's not an error. GSAP literally added an "opacity" property to the element itself.  Like...

myElement.opacity = 0.3

That of course won't actually change the opacity, but there are use cases where you might need to actually animate a property of an element and not the CSS.

And your code can be cleaned up by using timeline methods like .to().

https://greensock.com/docs/TimelineMax/to()

• Like 3