Search Community

Reverse custom ease

Emilek1337 test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hello, is there a way to reverse the custom ease I created? I have an ease and I want to ease the out transition exactly the other way around.

So for example it comes with a fast-slow ease and I want it to go out with slow-fast ease, with the exact same values but swapped.

Is there a way to do it? 

Hi @Emilek1337. Welcome to the forums. 

It sounds like you're talking about a simple yoyo. You can set repeat:1 and yoyo:true on a TweenMax or TimelineMax instance to get that effect. Or just reverse() the animation anytime. If you still need help, a codepen would be super helpful so we can just tweak things in your context. 

Happy tweening!

10 minutes ago, GreenSock said:

Hi @Emilek1337. Welcome to the forums. 

It sounds like you're talking about a simple yoyo. You can set repeat:1 and yoyo:true on a TweenMax or TimelineMax instance to get that effect. Or just reverse() the animation anytime. If you still need help, a codepen would be super helpful so we can just tweak things in your context. 

Happy tweening!

Thanks for the reply. I didn't explain my problem the right way, sorry for that. I can't use customEase on codepen, but I created this: 

See the Pen KLEwrJ?editors=1111 by vountish (@vountish) on CodePen

to show the concept I'm talking about(animation is not working, I'm just showing the concept of the custom ease).

Moving something by 100% to the right with a customEase, then moving it 100% the right again(200%) with the customEase I used but reversed(so like easeIn for 100% easeOut for 200%, but using my customEase).

Just so you know, you can use any of the bonus plugins on codepen for free. We created special trial versions which are all listed here: 

See the Pen OPqpRJ by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

I whipped together a helper function that'll simply invert an ease for you. Just feed in the ease and it'll spit back a new one that's inverted: 

See the Pen rgROxY?editors=0010 by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

Here's the function:

//feed in an ease and get back a new inverted version of it.
function invertEase(ease) {
  if (typeof(ease) === "string") {
    ease = CustomEase.get(ease);
  }
  return function(p) {
    return 1 - ease.getRatio(1 - p);
  };
}

Does that help? 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, GreenSock said:

Just so you know, you can use any of the bonus plugins on codepen for free. We created special trial versions which are all listed here: 

I whipped together a helper function that'll simply invert an ease for you. Just feed in the ease and it'll spit back a new one that's inverted: 

Here's the function:

//feed in an ease and get back a new inverted version of it.
function invertEase(ease) {
  if (typeof(ease) === "string") {
    ease = CustomEase.get(ease);
  }
  return function(p) {
    return 1 - ease.getRatio(1 - p);
  };
}

Does that help? 

Yes, thank you very much!