Search Community

Adding search parameters to url while using clickTag

srouse13 test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

I'm attempting to code an ad that uses an html form to append search parameters to my destination url. I am also trying to use a clickTag so that when the user clicks on the search button, a click is registered. I'm attempting to serve this ad in Google Adwords and another ad server called Basis DSP. Both have similar specifications on using a clickTag variable. So far, I have been unsuccessful in getting a click to register in Basis DSP. When I uploaded to the HTML5 Validator for Adwords, it passed but suggested I use the Google hosted ExitApi. Would the type of ad I'm describing be possible in the Adwords platform or would it be classified as Rich Media and need to be served in Display & Video 360? I have multiple variations of my ad where the search functionality is working but I'm still unable to get the clickTag to get tracked. Below is one code example: 

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
    <meta name="ad.size" content="width=300,height=250">
    <meta name="click.through" content="ad" />    
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="Talbots_JobSearch_300x250.css"/>
    <title>Tablots | Search Jobs - 300x250</title>
    <script type="text/javascript">

function clickTag(){
    document.getElementById("jobSearch").submit();
    }

window.addEventListener('keydown',function(e){if(e.keyIdentifier=='U+000A'||e.keyIdentifier=='Enter'||e.keyCode==13){if(e.target.nodeName=='INPUT'&&e.target.type=='text'){e.preventDefault();return false;}}},true);    

</script>  
</head>
<body>
        <div id="ad" class="wrap">
    <form id="jobSearch" action="https://jobs.talbots.com/index.gp" method="get" target="_blank">
        <input id="method" type="hidden" name="method" value="cappportal.showPortalSearch">
        <input id="sysLayoutID" type="hidden" name="sysLayoutID" value="123">
        <input id="utm_source" type="hidden" name="utm_source" value="hc-bannerads">  
        <label for="keyword">Keyword:</label> 
        <input id="keyword" type="text" name="keyword">
        <input type="button" onclick="clickTag()" value="Search">
    </form>
        </div>         
</body>
</html>

Looking for any guidance on using this type of search functionality in an ad and whether it's possible in Google Adwords. Any help would be much appreciated!

This is what I expected but thanks very much for the confirmation and including the link to the Studio specifications. These will be extremely helpful if we are able to get the client to use Display & Video 360.

Thanks again!

• Like 1