Search Community

Child timelines don't yoyo

mtkramer test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hello,

I've been stuck on this problem for a few days now.  I have two timelines.  Each move dozens of paths that all begin absolutely at 0 seconds and end simultaneously at .35 sec (the duration) and then the timelines are supposed to yoyo.  To simplify and reuse code, I put each in their own callable functions vertAni() and horiAni().

My next step is to create a parent animation in a callable function which pushes these two animations together by alternation and the length of the timeline is based on a user defined input (rep).  I accomplished this by:

See the Pen byEJqX?editors=0010 by mtkramer (@mtkramer) on CodePen

It works well when called with the added .3 sec delay due to the absolute staggering, but the animations don't yoyo back to their own beginnings, they animate tween each other's endpoints.  Anybody know a correction or a different approach I could try?

See the Pen byEJqX by mtkramer (@mtkramer) on CodePen

Hello @mtkramer,

Welcome to the forums!

It's very hard to troubleshoot blind. There could be a ton of variables we are not aware of.

Are these two timelines animating the same set of paths? If yes, are the timelines overlaping?

It really would help if you could produce a reduced case demo to showcase your issue, right now, we'll be guessing here.

And my guess is that you are animating the same bunch of paths, offseting the timelines by 0.3 second but the timeline is actually 0.7 seconds (0.35 times 2) and because of that, the resulting overlapped animation is not what you were expecting.

• Like 1

With some more testing, I think there may be a rendering issue with the animation being played through React.  I simplified it to just run the vertical animation on mounting and still no yoyo.

It seems that this is a common problem.  People have found work-arounds using GSAP as a plugin to scroll magic.

I was also considering just hard-coding the yoyo into the child timelines, but I'd rather not :P