Search Community

Left Position is Misreported?

Paul Schlereth test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hey Team - I've searched for solutions but I am still stuck as to why I'm getting confusing left position results. You can see from the supplied CodePen that I'm displaying the left position of a Bootstrap column before and after a transform from off screen right. Even after using clearProps I'm still getting a huge number for the left position after the animation finishes. The number looks like the left position that GSAP created for the starting position for the off screen animation before it animated onto the screen. I think the two reported positions should match.

When I try to utilize this end-state left position for subsequent animations everything is off because the position is seemingly misreported. What am I missing / doing wrong? I would really appreciate an assist, this has been quite frustrating.

-Paul

See the Pen KLpyYg?editors=1010 by paul77 (@paul77) on CodePen

Hey Craig - thanks for the response. So when I add multiple timelines to the master timeline, how do I force subsequent timelines to wait until the prior timeline has completed? Please check my modified CodePen:

See the Pen zQGRZg by paul77 (@paul77) on CodePen

I've added another timeline, the start of which relies on correct left position as it was from the prior timeline. Note that the initial value output to the screen is really huge, then changes to a smaller value. My second timeline starts before this correction happens. Since I know I can add multiple timelines to the master, how do I prevent this race condition? In this second example, my goal is to be able to position the column of copy near the left edge of the screen - not fly off the screen. Thanks again.

@Paul Schlereth,

You can move the  `onComplete` parameter to the master Timeline and call `data` there

var master = new TimelineMax({ repeat:0 , onComplete:data});

You can add all you want to any timeline that is part of the master timeline, and it will wait until it's done.

See the Pen LoVmmo?editors=1010 by sgorneau (@sgorneau) on CodePen

• Like 1

I guess I'm not fully understanding this whole project. Why do you need to clearProps between tweens? It seems like you want the next tween to start where the last one ended. Wouldn't a sequenced timeline of .to() tweens work well for this? Or am I missing something obvious?

Valid point - i'm having a hard time calculating the next position for $heroContent01 (the content column) if I don't have the final position from the prior timeline. Within the second added timeline, I've been trying to:

var heroRowLeft = $heroRow.position().left; // parent container of the content column
var heroContentLeft01outStart = $heroContent01.position().left; // this is the variable that will contain an inaccurate number
var heroContentXoffset = heroRowLeft - heroContentLeft01outStart; // new position

tl.to($heroContent01, 2.0, { x:heroContentXoffset }, "-=1.5");

Is there a better way to position the left of this column along the left edge of its containing .row? I'm trying not to explicitly use absolute positioning for responsive layout convenience. Since this uses a calculation, and the prior from animation is a percent, this should calculate specific to devices just fine - unless I'm missing something.

Oh, I wasn't doubting the accuracy of jQuery.position. I just don't use jQuery much and getBoundingClientRect() spits back eight properties so I find it more useful.

But if your code above is working as you'd like, go for it. No need rocking the boat. Happy tweening. :)

• Like 1

Actually the unfortunate bit is that my setup isn't working. The position value that is coming out of the first added timeline isn't accurate until that timeline completes. Unfortunately, the second added timeline starts working before that happens. I haven't seen a good solution for this yet.