Search Community

SplitText in each loop (noob sanity check)

Chris Prieto test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

I've made it plenty far using GreenSock with my limited js/jquery knowledge so it's been a fun and fulfilling learning experience. In my search for a solution I found a post on here that got me this far but I fear I am missing something ?

That said I find myself struggling with what I hope is something simple for a more knowledgable GreenSocker. The loop I am stuck on is below. My hope is to split the text on '.services-wrap li p' which i was previously adding to timeline with 'element.children[4]' but once I tried to split that text things got a lil complicated. I confirmed that SplitText works outside the loop so I am convinced I am doing something wrong even tho the variables make sense to me.

var $serviceWrap = $('.services-wrap li');
$serviceWrap.each(function(i, element){
    var serviceBTl = new TimelineMax({delay:i*.2}),
        servicePSplit = $(this).find('.services-wrap li p'),
        serviceSplit = new SplitText(servicePSplit, {type:"lines"}),
        serviceChars = serviceSplit.lines;

serviceBTl
        .from(element.children[0], .2, {autoAlpha:0})
        .from(element.children[2], .2, {autoAlpha:0, y: '50%'})
        .from(element.children[3], .2, {x: '-110%'})
        .staggerFrom(serviceChars, 1, {y:'50px', autoAlpha:0, ease:Power3.easeOut}, 0.1)
    ;

serviceTl.add(serviceBTl, 1);
});

Hi @Chris Prieto,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for joining Club GreenSock.

I'm troubleshooting a bit blind here, but I see a couple things.

1. The <li> is $(this) so I think you meant to do this

// switch this
servicePSplit = $(this).find('.services-wrap li p')

// to this
servicePSplit = $(this).find('p')

The other thing I don't know is how many <p> elements (or other elements) are part of the <li> that would be the children. I'm guessing the <p> is the only one? If so, tweening children[2], [3] etc won't work since element.children[0] is the only one that exists. This is just a guess though since I can't see your DOM. 

If you could make a demo and describe the desired behavior, we could offer more detailed assistance. More info:

Hopefully that helps. Happy tweening and welcome aboard.

:)

• Like 4

Yes! Thank you Carl, that totally was it! My apologies as I meant to paste HTML and forgot to do it. I also tried to set up a codepen when I submitted and got the notice but I was not able to get it working. But thank you for the quick fix and I will work on trying to wrap my mind around codepen for future issues I may encounter. 

• Like 1