Search Community

Odd behavior with rotation on SVG G

franklylate test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hey all, I saw a lot of chatter on here that SVG G isn't necessarily supported but figured I would check -- I'm getting a really odd matrix transform for rotation on a SVG G elements. Seems like it's getting a translateX + translateY movement as well and swinging the animation strangely. Works perfectly for just SVG and I could rewrite to break out the g elements to separate SVGs (processor GULP!) but figured I'd check before I consider.

The browsers we're supporting take in transform: rotate(90deg) correctly on SVG G and I could probably rewrite for CSS tweens as well but they're always a pain.

Anyway, let me know eitherway!

Thanks

---

I didn't fork the broken codepen and now it's working as intended with the updates below.

See the Pen zQOEeE by jcollette (@jcollette) on CodePen

Edited by franklylate
added clarity that codepen pulled in update

Yeah, I guess I'm struggling to see the problem. As far as I can tell, it's behaving as expected. If you want to animate from the element's center, you could just add transformOrigin:"50% 50%" to your tween. Worked great for me. Otherwise, the default origin for SVG elements is always the top left. Maybe I'm missing something? 

• Like 1

Nope, you guys have it exactly correct!

.rotateG g, .rotateG {
    transform-origin: 50% 50%;
}

wasn't producing the expected behavior but svgOrigin and transformOrigin in the tween is working exactly as it should!

Thanks

Updated codepen with loop+rotation at 

• Like 2

Yeah, CSS doesn't work very well cross-browser on SVGs, especially with transform-related values. That's why we strongly recommend setting values directly through GSAP instead, because it works around various browser inconsistencies/bugs. :)

Glad you got it working. Happy tweening!

• Like 1