Search Community

_tick is requesting animation frames when there is no animation running

chris_hengst test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi there!

I'm working on a SPA with a lot of GSAP stuff going on...

I've noticed that, when I record the timeline in Safari, the "_tick" of TweenMax.js constantly requests animation frames and a "composite" is fired even when there is no animation running

I was wondering if this is normal behavior or if I'm missing something here? And how does this affect performance and battery lifetime?

Thank you for the information!

Bildschirmfoto 2019-05-02 um 18.56.26.png

Hm, that's tough to diagnose blind as far as the composite goes (there must be something you're changing/animating to trigger that), but as a performance optimization it may take up to 2 seconds to autoSleep. It doesn't check on every....single...tick to see if there aren't any animations left. It does that every 120 ticks by default (though you can change that if you want, via TweenLite.autoSleep). 

If you still need some help, please provide a reduced test case and we'll take a peek. But overall, I'd say there's probably nothing to worry about in terms of GSAP specifically - it will power down when possible. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply!

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure I have no animations/changes going on. So what else could be the problem? Could it be that GSAP tries to animate something which was already removed from the DOM (during the animation) or something like this?

Is there a way to see if TweenLite is "sleeping"?

I'm using TweenMax for most animations. There is probably no difference for autoSleep, isn't it? (I'm asking because TweenMax.autoSleep is undefined)

Thanks!