Search Community

Video and GS

timaging test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi,

I'm working with a big client that used GS as their main banner ad platform. We have a request to do some ads that would include video.

Is this possible in GS and if so, are there any tutorials and samples that I can look at?

Thanks

dave

GSAP is a scripted animation library that (as you probably know) is extremely popular for building banner ads with. It has nothing to do directly with video, but you could certainly use GSAP in a banner that has video displayed. 

Were you asking if GSAP itself can output video or something? I guess I wasn't quite sure what you meant with your question. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, timaging said:

Hi,

I'm working with a big client that used GS as their main banner ad platform. We have a request to do some ads that would include video.

Is this possible in GS and if so, are there any tutorials and samples that I can look at?

Thanks

dave 

You can use <video> tag, to add video to banner ad.
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/video

GSAP works in parallel with the video, and is not related to it.

• Like 2

You'll need to know which platform your rich-media ad is going to be hosted on e.g. Google DoubleClick. There are other players like Sizmek, that have their proprietary ways of embedding video / YouTube players into ads.

You can certainly use GSAP to create / remove a video player in your html file. I think playing, pausing, stopping, or seeking to a specific time in a video is beyond the scope of GSAP. That's where the API of the video player will come in. If possible upload your video to YouTube so you can use Google's API that allows you to control playback, speed, seek to time, etc and collects playback analytics.

Have a look at this site to see what's possible with DoubleClick: https://www.richmediagallery.com/

• Like 2

I have made banner ad sandwiches  that have video on top (default) or underneath, that use either the Youtube API or HTML5 video tag.

Things to be aware of. If you go the Youtube API route, clicking on the video will take viewers to that video page on Youtube.  The rest of your ad will go to where you want it to.

If you use Doubleclick Studio you have a place to serve your video from.

Doubleclick does have something called polymer video.

https://support.google.com/richmedia/answer/6232836?hl=en

Chrome did pause all video that auto played last spring, so how you mute is important. Older examples with auto play video are all paused.

<video autoplay class='video' loop muted width='320'>
    <source src='bg_video.mp4' type='video/mp4'>
    <source src='bg_video.ogv' type='video/ogg'>
  </video>

• Like 1