Search Community

Tweeing a value, int [SOLVED]

yaure test
Moderator Tag

Just wondering how to tween an int or a Number variable, would it be something like endArray plugin or is there a more straight forward way?

o, and another question, if I'm using dynamicProps is there an easy way to update the time as well? would be nice also if it can call a function to recalculate the time every few seconds or so, something like an onUpdate but fires every few secs?

Thanks

Just wondering how to tween an int or a Number variable, would it be something like endArray plugin or is there a more straight forward way?

Sure, you could use endArray but you don't need to. Just do something like:

var myVariable:Number = 0;
TweenLite.to(this, 2, {myVariable:100});

if I'm using dynamicProps is there an easy way to update the time as well? would be nice also if it can call a function to recalculate the time every few seconds or so, something like an onUpdate but fires every few secs?

You can adjust a tween's "duration" property anytime. Use a Timer or delayedCall() or whatever you want to trigger a function that adjusts it. You can even change the startTime of a tween.

By the way is below the ideal way to tween an int/number value of a dynamic textfield?

public function updateNum(value:int):void { 
TweenLite.to(this, 0.5, { _num:value, onUpdate:txtUpdate } ); 
}	
private function txtUpdate():void { 
num_txt.text = String(_num); 
}

I saw somewhere in the forum you can use { text: } directly and set the mc to num_txt.text or something. But the textfield just shows NaN

TweenLite.to(num_txt, 0.5, { text:String(value) } );
TweenLite.to(num_txt, 0.5, { text:int(value) } ); 

Both above shows NaN

Is your _num variable scoped as public or private/protected? It'd need to be public in order for TweenLite to be able to get/set it.

If you need to keep things private, you can use a generic object like this:

private var _numObj:Object = {num:0};
public function updateNum(value:int):void {
   TweenLite.to(_numObj, 0.5, { num:value, onUpdate:txtUpdate } );
}   
private function txtUpdate():void {
      num_txt.text = String(int(_numObj.num));
}

oops, made a mistake in my wording

The top one works ok, I was gona ask whether the below should work or not, as I get NaN

TweenLite.to(num_txt, 0.5, { text:String(value) } );
TweenLite.to(num_txt, 0.5, { text:int(value) } ); 

There must be something else going on in your code then. If "value" is indeed a number, then your second line should work fine assuming the starting value in your TextField is a number as well - if it's populated with a string like "myText" or something, then TweenLite won't be able to make that into a number to tween it.