Search Community

Problems after uglify JS webpack code

Violetta test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi all

I animated a few SVGs. Everything works as expected. Now we wanted to go live and I uglifyed the webpack JS code with gulp-uglify. But now the transform-origin of the animations are no longer correct everywhere. 

I put it this way:

iconAnis.tl_icon3 = new TimelineMax({ useFrames: true, paused: true });

var tl_icon3_2 = new TimelineMax({ repeat: -1, paused: false })
            .set('#wheel_big', { transformOrigin: 'center center' })
            .from('#wheel_big', 100, { rotation: -360, ease: Power0.easeNone });

iconAnis.tl_icon3
            .add(tl_icon3_1)
            .add(tl_icon3_2, 0);

But after uglifying I see the inline style "transform-origin: 0px center;".

And if I remove the transformOrigin in JS and set it via CSS, it also does not have the intended impact on the animation:

#wheel_big{
	transform-origin: center center !important;
}

I use:

"gulp-uglify": "^3.0.1"

"gsap": "^2.0.2"

"webpack": "^4.20.2"
"webpack-stream": "^5.1.1"

"gulp": "^4.0.0"

"gulp-babel": "^8.0.0"

Any ideas how I can fix that?

Hi Violetta,

Welcome to the forums!

It's quite hard to debug in the dark like this. Do you think you could setup a minimal-code example for us to look at? I have worked in projects in the past where gulp-uglify was used without having this issue. Maybe you have some setting turned on that might be mangling the code too much?

Hi Dipscom

Thank you for your reply. What do you want to see?

Here are snippets from the gulpfile:

let webpackConfig = {
    mode: (PRODUCTION ? 'production' : 'development'),
    module: {
        rules: [{
            test: /\.js$/,
            use: {
                loader: 'babel-loader',
                options: {
                    presets: ["@babel/preset-env"],
                    compact: false
                }
            }
        }]
    },
    resolve: {
        alias: {
            TimelineMax: "gsap/src/uncompressed/TimelineMax",
            TweenMax: "gsap/src/uncompressed/TweenMax",
            TweenLite: "gsap/src/uncompressed/TweenLite",
        }
    },
    optimization: {
        splitChunks: {
            chunks: 'all',
        },
    },
    devtool: !PRODUCTION && 'source-map'
}

// Combine JavaScript into one file
// In production, the file is minified
function javascriptBoilerplate() {
    return gulp.src('../../Private/Js/Boilerplate/app.js')
        .pipe(named())
        .pipe($.sourcemaps.init())
        .pipe(webpackStream(webpackConfig, webpack2))
        .pipe($.if(PRODUCTION, $.uglify()
            .on('error', e => { console.log(e); })
        ))
        .pipe($.if(!PRODUCTION, $.sourcemaps.write()))
        .pipe(gulp.dest(PATHS.dist + '/js'));
}

Or what do you need? Thank you for your help! 

On an ideal world, if you could provide a little bundle that we can run, tinker and test to try and figure out what might be wrong.

Because, just reading code like that, one needs to be super experienced to know what might be wrong. Unfortunately, I am not at that level. It makes it easier being able to run the code ourselves and see it break.

Don't worry about sending your production setup. A single html with the minimal build tooling you have and a single line of GSAP showing the error is enough.

Hi Dipscom

I know what you mean. The problem is, there is no error message :-). That's just strange. The only warning message is this during the gulp process:

WARNING in asset size limit: The following asset(s) exceed the recommended size limit (244 KiB).

This can impact web performance.

This is my first project with webpack :-), so my experience is limited.

Before I invest hours and make a bundle (I do not know if that really helps, because there are a lot of dependencies), here's what it looks like right now:

https://www.violetta.ch/typo3conf/ext/va_template/Resources/Public/static_html/angebot.html

Almost at the end it has 6 icons with text. On hover the icons are animated. At the icon number 1, 3, 5 and 6 the transform-origin is false. It is set inline to "0px center" at all, whyever.  At the icon number 3 (Entwickeln) the transformOrigin should be "center center" for "#wheel_big" like in the code example above.

Maybe that helps for workaround ideas? :-)

Is "0px center" the default value in greensock? Or do you have an idea for a workaround? Or what else could I try?

I've had a quick look and can't think of much from the top of my head.

When I ask for a bundle, if you get your project, make a copy, delete everything except that icon 3 and the rollover logic. Then, we can really just focus on the issue. Right now, it's quite hard to see what is going on if I can't change the code to see what it does.

There's also the fact you are using an SVG (which is not a bad thing) and SVGs have plenty of gotchas to be aware of. What happens if you try to rotate the <g> element instead of the path itself?

• Like 1

I have now created a reduced bundle. And the reduced bundle works as desired! HAHA

Thus, the reason is somewhere else .. But now I can exclude one after the other ...

Thank you for your patience. If I found out more and do not know further, I write here again :-).

Typical, isn't it?

Anyways, that's how I usually debug when I get stuck on something. Get rid of everything, add one little bit at a time until it breaks again.

Do come back and let us know what was wrong, it's always useful to someone else who might be struggling with something along those lines.

And, well done on taking the steps. :)

• Thanks 1

A tip, you might want to remove as much of the CSS transitions that affect elements that you are animating with GSAP, use one or the other. Not CSS transitions and GSAP on the same element, it always end up causing issues because GSAP makes its calculations and store them but then, the CSS transforms mess with it all.

I have it! I do not know why that was the "mistake", but no matter.

What I have done:

- removed all installed npm modules ("node_modules" folder)

- removed package-lock.json

- removed yarn.lock

Then I did "npm install" again. And now it works wonderfully :-).

Again thank you Dipscom for your help and patience!

• Like 1