Search Community
themepunch test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi Folks,

When GreenSock write matrix3d on CSS Transform based on force3D / Perspective / TransformOrigin  the clip-path css attribute animation just break in  the Latest Safari (12.1 (14607.1.40.1.4)).

See our Example above in SAFARI Latest Version, or on any iOS  latest version !! . 

Click on Working and Not Working version to see the Effect.  The only Different between those functions are the "force3d:true" setting !

Hope you have a good idea for this ? 

Thank you,

Krisztian from ThemePunch

See the Pen YMNzLL by themepunch (@themepunch) on CodePen

3 hours ago, Jonathan said:

Also keep in mind that CSS clip-path still shows partial support  with prefix -webkit for Chrome and Safari

And it's also worth noting that iE11 doesn't support it and Edge support is only partial, so depending on your needs it may not be a good option at this time.

• Like 1

Yep, here's proof that it's a Safari bug that's totally unrelated to GSAP: 

See the Pen f71dd9859235aaf4ade113e9ab4cbf8d by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

There are actually TWO bugs in Safari 12.1. First, when a 3D transform is applied to an element, it seems to rasterize it in place and then any changes to -webkit-clip-path won't actually render (even though they're being made properly in the JS level and you can even see it in Dev Tools). So that's a rendering issue. It seems like you can FORCE it to render by simultaneously changing another property like background-color.

Second, Safari is reporting that it recognizes a regular "clip-path" style value (because if you check it in the style object, it is NOT undefined), indicating that the "-webkit-" prefix isn't needed...but then when you try to set that clip-path value it doesn't actually get recognized by the browser! Here's proof: 

See the Pen 4ec363d7fca960b501b390634fdf2e39?editors=0010 by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

Unfortunately, there just seem to be a lot of problems with clip-path across browsers so I'm reluctant to recommend it. 

• Like 4

Thank you for all Your Feedbacks.  Yes, I also reported the issue yesterday  to webkit Bugzilla and they acknowledge it as a bug. 

However i found a solution (i have better read your answer Jack :)  earlier, than i could save some time)  which force redrawing  the content in Safari.  I used the  z transform and/or rotationZ in my case, but just like you sad a background-color or any other not used attribute on that element would help here. 

So i am good for now with this small change.

The Problem with IE is still existing, i do agree with you Visual-Q ! For that i have some other plan :)

Thank you again ! As always , you Rock Guys ! And i just can not imagine living without your Fantastic Greensock Plugin ! 

Cheers,

Krisztian

• Like 2