Search Community

Text Hover Effect

a.joshi84 test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by Dipscom,

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi a.joshi85,

Welcome to the forums!

All you have to do there is to break each letter of the text you want to animate into an individual tag element, add your desired animation and trigger it with the 'mouseover' event.

You can either, use GSAP's SplitText, write your own function to add the spans or divs as necessary in your text or, painstainkly add the span and div tags by hand (as I have done in the example).

See the Pen 6fec6d0b125fe69b186e9b139ccbc01c by dipscom (@dipscom) on CodePen

• Like 5

• 3 years later...
  • Solution

Right, I see, you've copied my example and tried to adapt it to using SplitText.

You are using an outdated syntax and are missing a few little bits. Have a look at the SplitText docs as well. You will see there is already a ton of functionality there.

I recommend you also read the get started section in the site here so you can be familiar with the current GSAP syntax.

Finally, below is your code refactored to achieve a pleasant animation. The key points there are: Add a class to each split letter, creating a "dictionary" of tweens, storing an "index" reference of the dictionary entry on each letter as a data-attribute and checking to see if the element hovered over has said dictionary reference and if the tween is playing

new SplitText(".wtg", {charsClass: "letter"});

const element = document.querySelector('.wtg');
const letters = gsap.utils.toArray(".letter");
const tweens = {};

element.addEventListener('mouseover', onMouseOver);

letters.forEach((letter, index) => {
   tweens[index] = gsap.to(letter, {yPercent: -50, yoyo:true, repeat:1, paused: true});

letter.dataset.tween = index;
})

function onMouseOver(event) {
  const trg = event.target;

if(trg.dataset.tween) {
    tween = tweens[trg.dataset.tween];

if (!gsap.isTweening(trg)) {
      tween.play(0);
    }
  }
}

• Like 3