Search Community

Create a blur effect (on video) and remove the blur on the part hovered

jimmylet test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hello all,

I'm looking for how to achieve a blur effect in front of a video. This blur effect must disappear on a limited surface on the part hovered.

Here is the result I would like to achieve with Greensock https://revolution.themepunch.com/paintbrush-effect-add-on-for-wordpress/

Do you have an idea of how? Use an SVG? Canvas? I'm lost…

Thank you !

See the Pen NmxBZX by jimmylet (@jimmylet) on CodePen

Hello @jimmylet and welcome to the GreenSock forum!

Yes a cool effect indeed, i will take a crack. Based on inspecting that page.

• It has the main image that is stacked on the bottom.
  • Then a <canvas> tag is stacked above the main image with an opaque blur that is either a transparent blur or it's a canvas sample copy of the main image with an added blur effect.
  • So basically 2 layers stacked, of the main image on the bottom and the blurred canvas image on top.

• Then mouse movements are detected when hovering over the canvas image to reveal a paintbrush mask that allows full transparency so you see through the <canvas> tag and see the main image underneath.

That is what i got from inspecting that slider. I only saw the effect work in Chrome, but Firefox and MS edge did not show the slider for some reason, only Chrome did.

Happy Tweening! :)

• Like 4