Search Community

How would you approach this animation?

kevmon test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi,

I'm unable to provide a Codepen as I haven't figured out how to start this yet.  Here's what I'm trying to achieve:

1. On scroll (ScrollMagic) when the element comes into view, the sun comes in from the left

2. It follows the path and sort of lingers at the top-center for a bit (will use ease SlowMo for this)

3. Continues to go off the edge of the screen on the right as the element scrolls up and out of view

4. As you scroll in reverse, the same thing happens in reverse

Definitely not asking anyone to do the work for me, but hoping to get pointed in the right direction on how to approach it.

Thanks in advance!

CleanShot 2019-03-24 at 16.05.57@2x.jpg

Hi @kevmon :)

Here's a demo I made for another forum question.

See the Pen rGZwqK by PointC (@PointC) on CodePen

You can see the section with the dog gets pinned and the dog sticks to the middle of the window for a bit as it travels from left to right. It's similar to what you're trying to do so it may give you some ideas.

For the travel path of the sun, you can check out the Bezierplugin:

https://greensock.com/docs/Plugins/BezierPlugin

You could also use a SVG and the MorphSVGPlugin.pathDataToBezier() method to create a path for the sun. Lots of options available.

Hopefully that helps. Happy tweening.

:)

• Like 6

@kevmon

I'm thinking you'll either need to take the approach I took with eases, or have the Sun be contained in the SVG.

Another solution to provide more true-to-path accuracy would be to use the CustomEase plugin. This uses your SunPath to create the ease, and I'm using relative units to ensure it traverses the viewport:

See the Pen aMxPNo by ryan_labar (@ryan_labar) on CodePen

That said, I haven't had my morning coffee, so someone may have a better solution using your current setup.

• Like 4

Great work. I did notice, however, that scrolling with the mouse wheel is quite jerky: moves rather quick from left to right. You might want to lock the scrolling until the sun moves all the way from left to right. The animation is fine if you click the scrollbar.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, explorerzip said:

Great work. I did notice, however, that scrolling with the mouse wheel is quite jerky: moves rather quick from left to right. You might want to lock the scrolling until the sun moves all the way from left to right. The animation is fine if you click the scrollbar.

Thanks, really great point, I've just updated above to fix that