Search Community

reset values for multiple 'from' commands

friendlygiraffe test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi, I was wondering how I would go about resetting a group of elements before another 'from' command is fired?

I don't want the y:"-=20px" tween to be initialized when starting the timeline, and when they are animated from y, I want them to start from the original x.

I've tried a .set command but didn't work for what I want.

See the Pen gEQGZx by friendlygiraffe (@friendlygiraffe) on CodePen

I was a bit confused by the question too. immediateRender:false would be the way to get the y position tween to wait. I'm not understanding the x position set(). You want the circles to jump back to the starting point before the y position tween? Like this?

See the Pen bZQaRd by PointC (@PointC) on CodePen

PS I'd always recommend the latest version of GSAP (2.1.2 currently). You were using 1.18.4.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, PointC said:

I was a bit confused by the question too. immediateRender:false would be the way to get the y position tween to wait. I'm not understanding the x position set(). You want the circles to jump back to the starting point before the y position tween? Like this?

See the Pen bZQaRd by PointC (@PointC) on CodePen

PS I'd always recommend the latest version of GSAP (2.1.2 currently). You were using 1.18.4.

This is exactly what I wanted to achieve. Sorry for the confusion. I had tried immediateRender:false, but only in the Timeline, not individual tweens

Would I have to specify the x value in .set? Just checking there isn't an initialise/reset properties method. I looked into ClearProps but didn't get very far

clearProps works on your from() tweens, but visually, you won't see anything happen. If you start at x:0 and tween from x:300 and then clearProps, your element will be at 0 because the inline styles are gone and your starting point was 0. Here's a really quick example:

See the Pen WmYMdd by PointC (@PointC) on CodePen

One box is to() x:500 and the other is from() x:500. After the tweens complete, box 1 has style="transform: matrix(1, 0, 0, 1, 500, 0);" and box 2 has style="transform: matrix(1, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0);"

When we clearProps, the inline styles are removed from both, but the only one that visually jumps is box 1. Make sense?

• Like 2

Thanks, that's closer to what I mean, but here's a better example.  https://codepen.io/friendlygiraffe/pen/RdEWXJ

I want the animation at the "end" label to retain the alpha as it would if immediateRender was true.

is is this possible without changing the last animation to a staggerTo?

Thanks again

I'm not sure I completely understand the desired behavior here, but here's a fork of your pen. I've used clearProps on the x property only instead of all and used a staggerTo() for the autoAlpha.

See the Pen wORdXe by PointC (@PointC) on CodePen

Is that what you need it to do or I am I not understanding the question?

Happy tweening.

• Like 3

That is exactly how it is supposed to animate, but I was trying to keep the end Tween in one line.

The first tween has the luxury of being on one line:

tl.staggerFrom(".circle", 1, {x:300,autoAlpha:0}, 0.2);

Whereas the end tween require 2 lines:

tl.staggerFrom(".circle", 0.5, {y:"-30px", immediateRender:false}, 0.2, "end");
tl.staggerTo(".circle", 0.5, {autoAlpha:0.5}, 0.2, "end");

If this is the correct way of doing it then that's fine, I just thought I might be missing a trick. Thanks!

If you're trying to condense it to one line, I'd probably set() the x and y position instead of using clearProps and then change the last line to a staggerTo(). Maybe something like this:

See the Pen RdEZgq by PointC (@PointC) on CodePen

It can sometimes be tricky to use from() tweens in the middle of a timeline. A set() and to() tween can make things a bit easier to control. Happy tweening.

• Like 3